Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to this and so far love this site.I'm not sure if they count as gear;but I was just wondering who uses retrievers in their goose hunting and if their is a specific forum on here for that topic.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use a Golden retreiver for all my waterfowl hunting.

No hunting dog section here, but at the sister site of duckhunting.chat there is one there.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We use our Brittany when we can. He loves the water and will retrieve anything we shoot. We don't take him out with us when the water gets cold though. He loves to go, but is too hyper.

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
i use a golden retriever in the early part of the season in the water. Near the end of the season it gets too cold for him with temps from 10-30 degrees. we use him for the whole season in the field and he will retrieve our birds for use all the time

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use my black labs when I hunt geese, crows, duck, upland birds and even pigeons if you got the time to train them they are worth haveing them in the field and you loose less birds

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had 2 labs in the past for waterfowel and pheasants. I now have a chessy and this is the best breed for waterfowl, espesially for geese. They can take the abuse from wounded geese and the extreme cold

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use my black lab for hunting over water but leave her home when field hunting. Watch out in cold weather, last year my lab went out of the boat and got trapped under the ice. I dove in after her and almost lost my life. I did save her but i smashed my head on the ice and almost couldn't get back in the boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use my Chocolate Lab. Just doesnt feel right going without him. Especially love to watch him work the cripples. Much better than chasing them down yourself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would go hunting without a lot of things, but I would never go hunting without a good dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Chessy and lab. I won't go out with out one of them. It would be like a parent going to Disneyland with out their children.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Except at Disney land if you left your kids home you wouldn't have to swim after a cripple in 36 degree water! :lol:

Take my lab/golden female whenever I go. Don't leave home without her. I couldn't put up with the whining and crying she would make if she didn't get to go. She's almost more ate up about it than I am!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey, ponass - you ought to post a picture (if you can, of course) of your lab/golden. Bet she's a beauty! (As you can tell, even though I can't afford one yet, I love dogs!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a yellow lab that turned a year in sept. She is doing great. Took to S.D. phesant hunting in October and she done super. She has retreived over 50 geese this year and God only Knows how many ducks. Can't wait to get her out again Sat. Last weekend she made two blind retreives over 150 yrds away. She is only going tho get better.

Double Clucker

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi fellas, the best part of the hunting season starts, and ends with watching a good dog work, that is the part that truly has to be the rewarding part of any hunt, of watching Your dog work, hey there are good dogs, and great dogs, some home trained and others done by pros, but the main thing is to watch their eyes, feel the tention in the bodys when they are doing the job they love to do, retrieve, and add just a little bit of pride in the owner.Yes, take a kid hunting, but never leave home without your dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Yellow Lab,, this is my second dog,,, and i could not think of going out in the field without my dog,, he's' 5 years old and really knows the game now,,, as for when it gets cold the neopreme vest are a lifs saver

·
Registered
46 Posts
Using a Viszla for upland game great dog, just wish she liked water. Lookin for a Chessie, for upland. That way I can hunt the big water of the Missourri River.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts