Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I get a case of guys Winchester expert loads , Kent fast steel or remington nitros? and should i buy them in #1's #2's or BB's (I hunt ducks and geese)

P.S. I dont know if this will help but i shoot a Stoeger Model 2000 cambered in 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
For ducks I like Kent Fast steel #2's, for geese I shoot 12 ga BB or BBB in Kent. In my 10ga this year, I'll shoot Winchester Supremes, I already have BB's but I'll probably get some T's too. As much as I like Winchester shells, I have not had any luck with the Xperts and Remington shells are always a no-no. My .02

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah i like the kent bb myself,got a box of there 3''tungsten i'm gonna try for a laugh this season..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Use the BB's. Can't go wrong with what ever comes down the shooting lane. 'll be using the wins myself this year. They were the best buy for the buck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hey goose2118 whats the scoop on hevishot i'm intrested in trying some this season.

·
Registered
761 Posts
bubba said:
hey goose2118 whats the scoop on hevishot i'm intrested in trying some this season.
Okay here goes. I have patterned 6 different hevi-shot loads in a 12 gauge and 20 gauge. If you are hunting just geese over decoys, #4s or #6es should knock them dead. I killed one goose last year with my 20 gauge with an imp. choke and 3" #6es. For ducks I like #6es or #7.5s (#7.5s with an imp. will make duck soup of any duck under 20 yards). I am going to shoot 2 3/4" #4s in my 12 gauge this opening day after my summer patterning work found out that a modified hevi-shot choke from cabela's is going to be very tight under 20 yards, but I head shoot them anyway. Any questions just PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hunting over dekes 90% of the time, I use #2's for everything. I've mostly used the Nitro's but want to try the Kent's. I've also heard the new Federals are hard to beat unless you can afford the heavi-shot.

When 35 yds or less, IMHO, I don't think it matters a great deal which mfg you're as long as you shoot well and use the right choke.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm switching to Kent's this year from Win. Supremes. It's probably a stupid move because I love those Wins. But it boils down to putting the shot in the right place. Decoying birds.... Dueces all the way.... For everything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alot of times, in finer sporting goods stores, you can mix and match shot sizes when you buy a case of the same load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shouldn't make much difference which brand of shotshell amo you use, it's how you use it. Be a good hunter first and learn good shooting skills. You'll bag more birds with less amo.

Rule: shoot the smallest size shot you can get away with (making sure that there is enough energy to penetrate out to the distance you're willing to shoot) and have at least 1375 FPS or faster for steel shot. Hevi-shot and the like you don't need it to be real fast. Around 1300 fps should be plenty.

Pesonally, I shoot #3 steel for ducks and #1 steel for geese over decoys.
Limit my shots to 40 yds, it's never been a problem. Before I knew better I shot bigger shot too. But after 32 years of goose hunt'n and 10 years of going to Canada-doing extensive research-I'll stick to the amo size posted above...
Using shot bigger than #3 or #1 steel fired at game less than 40 yds is a waste. With the smaller shot noted you have plenty of energy and more pellets in the pattern. It's a win, win situation.

Pass shoot'n is another story....

VRV

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used to shoot bb win. drylocks for geese but found this year a 2 shot kent will lay them down a s far as i want to shoot.

(bring em in with their landing gear down and youll be just fine)

CHad

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hevi #2's will kill a goose dead out to 60+ if you had to shoot that far. If you are shooting ducks I like steel #4's because I can't afford a ton of hevi plus I shoot more geese that ducks.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
just came back from sask trip. I was disappointed with Kent fasteel bbs in rem 870 full didn't have enough hits switched over to #1 Kents rem 1100 mod and stitched most of my birds at about 40 yds. Maybe I was rusty as I had not shot for a year and was on par the second day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started this early season with Remington BB for goose, Hit the birds and they never fell. I changed to Remington #2 and dropped birds. For me and my 1187 I'll use #2s for geese and ducks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's interesting to note that a few hunters switched to smaller shot and had better results using smaller pellets. There are lots of variables that could of contributed to this. Won't try to speculate at this time....

I would suggest that if you use BB, BBB and shoot a full choke. Take the time to pattern your gun at 40, 50 and even 60 yards if you feel like your shot/load combination is capibile of perfroming at these distances. Remember 30" circle at the given distance you pattern your load is all you get. Tell me at what distance do you start having less than 35 pellets in your 30" circle.....

good shoot'n,

VRV

·
Registered
16 Posts
well guys it's like this i spent 1100$ on a rem 11-87 sps, i have 8 doz big foots at 500 a doz, a enclosed trailer to haul them three finisher blinds at 500 a piece, custom made goose call 150$us water fowl coat 250$ and 100$minimum for fuel per goose shoot, not mentioned are about 10 doz shells. we have around 10 000$ invested in our goose hunting setup, and i might get to go on 6-10 goose hunts a year cause of work. Now a box of 3.5inch kent bb's are twenty buck heavy shot is around 35$-40$ and if you are hunting canada's you should never shoot more than a box of shells or somthing is wrong. SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY ON THE HEAVY SHOT you will kill way more birds with way less shooting. if it takes you 12 shots with steel to kill 6 birds you will kill 6 birds with heavy shot with 8-10 shells. iam not rich iam a working man just like the rest of you, but i dont see the point in cheaping out on shells after all the money that a guy invest's in his set up

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey kandahar what did your sask trip coast you? 1-time of work 2-fuel 3-guide fee's 3- meals 4-hotels 5-booze

i cant belive that you would shoot steel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts