Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 15 I am gonna start goose hunting next year. I have been duck hunting for about three years. What would a good beginner call be that isn't over $50 and isn't hard to use? Do I need a flute or a short reed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go with a short reed- takes lots of practice but the results are well worth it. Try a Winglock Delrin (about $60) but I bought one on ebay for $40. Also I can highly recommend picking up Dave Smith's CD Breakthrough II, it'll get you started in the right direction. PM if I can help further.

·
Registered
605 Posts
:idea:
Get the damned video-forget the CD---shortreed calling is all about backpressure which is created with your hands---thus not being able to see it is a huge disadvantage to you. Zink has a decent video as does Grounds.

As for learning-get the SR as if you learn to call a SR-you can easily call a flute-but not the other way around. Some learn very easily-some a long time on SR. SR and Flute is a lot different in how you call.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i would recommend the zink little man its a good call plus you can watch fred zinks video that will help you but that cost 130 dollars so i would go wiht the big river long honker its really easy to use and wont freeze up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If your going to go with a flute, i like the Tim Grounds Guides best flute, because you can take the bell off of the end to get a different pitch from it. Also i would recomend Shawn Stahl's honker talk video

Good Luck with goose huntin hope you love it as much as me

·
Registered
19 Posts
poolar bear is right, short reed is the way to go but u need to be willing to spend the time at it. winglock delerin is what i use love it . i just started blowing short reed this spring. i practice every day!!honker talk , the ancient art of paralizing geese hammerin honkers are all good references.get one watch it and blow along

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second that. Go with the Winglock delrin. it is so easy to blow and sounds awesome. i was just practicing with the call in the field yesterday and had geese coming out of the woodwork. too bad the season isn't in. :roll: figures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts