Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super Shot is under going tier 1 approving of this new shot. I have talked to the guy who is going to make this stuff and he said if will be close to hevi in price and Super Shot in size #5 will be equal to around hevi-shot #2s. There is a few loads that he said he will make. The first load will be a 1 ounce load of #5s. #5s have 103 pellets per ounce. He sees no need for mre than a 1 1/4 ounce load of #5s for long range geese (60 yards plus). He will also make a few 20 gauge loads in either a 3/4 or a 7/8 load of #7s at 190 per ounce. There is demand from a few people for a load #3s, but I can't see how he would keep the pellet count up and keep the price under $2 a shell if not more because #3s should be running around 70 pellets per ounce. This stuff should really shine at the 70 yard+ mark. I don't shoot that far myself, but I would like to see what those #7s do at close range on geese. This stuff won't be for the average shooter (like me), becasue I think hevi is more than most of us will ever need, but for those who can kill geese beyond normal ranges, it should be great. We will see if it be ready by September.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I talked to kyle last night again and he told me he would ship some out soon to me. He told me the #7s should be good for geese out to 60 yards, but they should be about the same as hevi #4s or #5s so I think 50 yards would be more reasonable. The #5s should be a real long range killer, but we will see. I plan to shoot some dead chickens for a penetration test with a few of the loads, but I don't want to spend $50 on chicken. :roll: This stuff is suppoesed to be round and shiny unlike hevi. He tells me there won't be many if any "flyers" with these loads. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the shot going to be out there for the reloader ??

I am a cheap SOB and like to reload.

Johnch

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has told me it will be available for reloading. I will be the first one ever (besides kyle) to test these loads (that is why I thought I'd shoot some chickens to get an idea of how deadly this stuff really will be). He says he will have a website up and running soon and you will be able to buy the shot sometime in august. He will only sell #5s and #7s, but he MIGHT make #3s, but he feels #3s are not really needed and I don't either. #5s should be deadly a good ways out there. He should make some #9s for ducks in a 3/4 ounce load or something to save on cost. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks .
I hope to buy some as soon as posible ,so I can have it loaded and patteren tested for Ohio's early goose season Sept 1-15

Johnch

·
Registered
30 Posts
This stough sounds to good to be true. Even if it doesnt get approved it will defintelely be the bomb for turkeys. I might try some if they make it in the #3 pellet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not? This is america and I like big shot. It sounds like to me if and when this stough is available to the reloader that the 3.5 in guns would really shine with those no.3 pellets. A guy could drop down to about an 1.5oz load crank up to around 1500 fps and smoke those geese out of the sky. We dont hear much about tundra swan hunting but I bet those hunters would most likely want the bigger shot sizes. If your right about pellet counts than that would be 90 pellets. Same pellet count as my BBB steel loads and close to the same as my B HS loads. Oh and I have a question for you now this is strictly hypothetical but if you didnt like chocolate fudge on your ice cream would you tell everybody else that they didnt need fudge on their ice cream simply because it might be better. You may not need the #3 pellet but there are a lot of us that would and what would be wrong with that?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing at all except that the #5s will kill geese GYD out to around 80 yards+ and swans would be in real trouble out to 60 yards+. Do you need to take shots past that far? If this stuff takes off the next load he will make will be #8s or #6s. If you like #3s send him an email and ask him when he will make them. He will give you the same answer I just gave you. #5s will kill geese as far as you can hit them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've emailed this gent about this as well as looked into his site. Sounds like a winnner to me. I'm awaiting the open market for this. Hevi Shot Look out. Check the link and the patern boards. Nice stuff indeed....

·
Registered
45 Posts
if we have hevi shot T's why not make the shot sizes bigger eh? The way this forums movin sounds like i'll be able to pop a couple deer off with and ouce and a half of BB

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I checked out their site and they have pics of a mallard at 80 yards with complete penetration with the no5 pellets. So I emailed them and the way it sounds the no5's are going to be the biggest size they offer and they will not produce 10ga loads for this shot. They told me there is no need for no3's and that the no5's will have goose killing penetration out to 100 yards. This stuff looks very impressive and hopefully someone produces some heavy high velocity 10ga loads for this stough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I hate say it but I agree if no5's will kill geese that far no need for the no3's. Well I called BP and good news for the 10ga hunters if this stuff gets approved and is available to the handloaders BP says they will more than likely produce loading data for us big gunners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now that it's winter... How about for spring light goose conservation???

Oh, the sweet, sweet thought... I can just imagine the surprised look of all those birds when the ranges suddenly double! :twisted:

-Dave

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good news. I have been informed that there it is possible to have it cleared for spring snows. As of december first it was on it's last leg of approval. The last part takes between 2 weeks and 5 months to complete. I guess we will see. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts