Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law has one of these adjustable choke tubes and says he really likes it. I'm not sure if he has it on his Benelli SBE2 or his Versa Max, or that it matters....but he says it has worked good for him and that he likes it.

I'm a little concerned because of the idea behind them not really having any of a parallel section and the whole thing tapering open/closed. I thought that was not desirable in a choke tube.

Does anybody else have any experience with them? Good or Bad? He lives in Oregon and I'm in Alaska so I can't try his out unfortunately. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Its really nothing more than a rehashed polychoke. They will almost never give you as good of a pattern as a single replaceable choke, is much bulkier than a single choke and can turn looser or worse, tighter without even touching it, especially with steel and nontoxic shot that doesnt "flow" through a choke like lead does. You do have the option of using one choke for multiple needs, but to me (and many others by seeing the customer reviews) the benefits do not outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
This is my first post. I found this site doing a search on the Tru-glo Titan. I just received one in the mail the other day.

Having not shot it, I cannot attest to it's effectiveness. Some guys I used to hunt with swore by their Poly- chokes so I bought this as the Poly-choke guys couldn't get a shipment out nor were they responsive to phone messages or emails. Kind of hate to see them go under but it sounded like they were in trouble.

So, looking at the thing, it seems well made and functions smoothly. As far as the claims for having more settings etc., that is all advertising mumbo-jumbo. The real proof will be in the shooting of it. It looks about exactly like a streamlined version of a Poly-choke. There is a warning about voiding the warranty if you take it apart.

I plan on using it on a gun I just bought off of Gunbroker. This gun is a rather well-made muzzle loader which uses a Remington 870 barrel, a side lock or "mule ear" type lock and a one piece stock with an adjustable comb even. It came threaded for Rem-chokes and included a skeet and an improved cylinder tube.

The thing with a front loader is that you can't get a .135" nitro card down thru a full choke tube. I have used a double original for doves up close and it does real well but wanted for so long to use a choked muzzle loader. I have been using the substitute "Black MZ" and have had a great experience with it as there seemed to be almost no build up of crud except for an initial white coating after the first shot. I shot the whole day with no wiping and no misfires. So have already disspelled the pro-gunwriter or keyboard authoritie's horse-hooey stories about mythical "crud-rings from hades" etc.

My plan is to first open the choke to load and then click it down to choke. If it works, will be great but if not, I can always use it in my 1100.

Trouble is, work has me too busy to get out & pattern/function test the thing so will have to wait a couple of weeks.

So, hope to give an honest report to those interested. Send an email in a couple of weeks if so inclined & I will re-post.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Newtire

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
newtire said:
Trouble is, work has me too busy to get out & pattern/function test the thing so will have to wait a couple of weeks.

So, hope to give an honest report to those interested. Send an email in a couple of weeks if so inclined & I will re-post.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Newtire
Hey, just checking in to see if you had gotten a chance to check that unit out yet. Sounds like you are pretty dialed in, howd it go or you still trying to get out?

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
I've been using one on my Mossy 935 for years and IMO they are great. The versatility of going from cyl. to x full in a sec. cannot be beat. Mine functions smoothly....turns nice with noticeable settings. As far as patterns go, it works very well...as good as or better than factory + having the ability to tighten or expand patterns at your fingertips. The internal spines actually work to grab and slow the wad, which aids in better patterns. $$$ well spent IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts