Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For fun, and to see how good the new improved paint is on the Greenhead Gear Decoys, I've had two of my ducks in our pool since the begining of May and plan to keep them there until the pool is closed for the season.

The GHG decoys are from Cabela's (the $25 box of Hot Buys).

So far the paint is holding up really well to being thrown around by our 2 kids and carried by our 2 retrievers--plus soaking in chlorinated pool water with the sun beating on them daily.

I'm really impressed, not to mention they are a lot of fun to throw like a football into the pool always ending up keel down...tough decoys! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
yep... and you're always hearing about paint adhesion problems from people who heard it from someone else that was told by their wife's friend's husband's third cousin that they had some paint chip off! I've not had a lick of trouble with my GHGs and paint adhesion. I know some people have, so don't start in... I'm just saying that the issue gets overblown by many who have never even used GHGs and don't like them for whatever their personal reasons are, and like to get a dig in when they get a chance.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
For what it's worth I had a lot of problems with the foot bases on my canada FB's. A lot of them cracked and I lost most of the nuts and replaced them with new nuts and glued them tight. I'm careful with the decoys, they must've broken during transport in the trailer.

But for what it's worth, Avery did send me replacement bases for those broken so I appreciate someone who will stand behind their product.

As to the paint....no problems.

My .02

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to laugh at my wife...for the first few days I had them in the pool I freaked her out--we used to have a real mallard drake and hen that spent time in our pond and pool, so she kept waiting to see them fly (and no, she's not a blonde). :D

They do look good enough to shoot...the pump/filter makes them look like they are swimming around...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hotbuys are the best dang $25 a dozen decoys out there. My lifesizes were turds. Didn't last 8 hunts and I have the pics to prove it. Avery told me to bad so sad. My hotbuys still look great, my lifesizes have large chunks of paint missing mainly on the greenheads.

Funny thing is Avery told me to take better care of them. The hotbuys took more punishment (a season's worth) and still look good. My G&H have been around for years and when you clean them off could almost pass for new decoys. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My bad guys. It wasn't supposed to post up twice. Sorry for the trouble.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We have alot of full plumaged greenheads on the opener. Ours opens Nov. 6th roughly. Closes at the end of Januaury with a break for most of january.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Admin??? Who let the admin in here??? :mrgreen: Just kiddin man... I had some problems with my bases initially as well. The ones that caused problems were all from the first shipment last year (somewhere around 700 dozen). I ended up having about 2 dozen bases replaced... and they gave me no hassles over it either.

gooseslayer... as I said, I know some people had legit problems. And I wasn't always happy when people would jump in and just tell them to take better care of their stuff and not abuse it. But I didn't feel it was my place to jump in. All my dealings were with c/s, or if I had a question I'd post my question. My point was simply, a lot of people start bashing products when they've never used them before just because they don't like the brand or heard it from someone else. GooseBob was doing a little test, which I thought was great regardless of his results, and didn't want to see his thread get turned into a bash fest. It's one thing to say you prefer a different brand, quite another to lambast a product when you've not had any kind of experience with it. I'm not referring to you... I thought you had a good post. :beer:

GooseBob... you're right, that pic looks like the biggest darn mallard deke I've ever seen. Must bring 'em in from miles away!!! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That is a big looking deke. WHere do you think flambeau got the idea for the 26 incher? 8)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Decoy Update:

I noticed that both decoys have tooth marks in them from our retrievers playing with them in the pool...our older retriever uses the pool anytime she wants--whether we like it or not!:D

However, even with tooth marks, the paint is holding up very well and they are floating perfectly.

FWIW...Cabela's raised the price of the Hot Buys to $29.99 now...still a bargain!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I havent had any seroius problem with my Goose shells or my new pro grade full bodies the paint on my shells have started to show wear but it's sandy up here and when the wind blows it' like a sand blaster so i dont think their is any deek that will hold up to that but no big deal it's juston the tails and i wont buy any other brand of deek :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts