Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the forum and i just bought a dozen bigfoot floaters. i love my texas rigged ducks but im wondering if anyone has experience doing it with geese. just thought because of their size it might make them more difficult to transport this way. these are my first floaters as i normally hunt fields with 8 doz BF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought about it. But unless you hunt strictly shallow water I wouldn't do it. Seeing as most of my geese end up on the outer part of my spread they are in the deeper water so I just have line on them. But all my ducks are texas rigged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I hunt in 4ft max here but in Canada some of the ponds are deeper that we hunt. Probably end up just rigging them normally to be safe. Don't want to loose a brand new decoy!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used to have some goose floaters texas rigged, had no problems with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you tie a not close to the decoys to keep them together? i do with my ducks and tryed it with my geese but after carrying to my shed the not was so tight i could hardly undo it, and it sucks not having a not cuz they are flopping all over!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did try to tie them in a knot just to see what would happen.......it didn't become that tight for me but I carried them maybe 50 yards to the shed, un-tied the knot and they are currently hanging from the rafters. I did experience a bit of the swinging around, being they were on much longer lines, but I can deal with that if it means being able to pick them up after LST that much quicker. Never been fined for not getting them picked up quick enough, but if a warden wanted to be a jerk, he sure could.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many did you tie together, i tried tieing 8 and walked just a ways to put them in the boat, had to use a screwdriver to pry it apart when i got there! looks like i wont be tieing them anymore, at least not 8 at a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live up here in Canada, and most of the water in Northern Lakes have the "Moose Muck" a.k.a. silty water, which makes what you think is 4 ft deep 6+ plus.

I have mine rigged to 6' as like one of the posters above has, as they are on the fringes. All my ducks are texas rigged as well.

As far as tying a knot, tye a figure 8 on a bight. It is a common rock climbing knot and it is much easier to undo after taking a load.

h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-eight_loop

W.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I throw out 18 goose floaters with my duck spread and use the rig em right weights. Works great if you're not carrying them far at all. I just put them on the carabeiner then in the boat. Word of advice... Do not tie a knot in them. It will kink the line and your weights won't slide up and down properly. I've also put them in 6 slot bags with the weighs on it clipped together with no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you tie a not close to the decoys to keep them together? i do with my ducks and tryed it with my geese but after carrying to my shed the not was so tight i could hardly undo it, and it sucks not having a not cuz they are flopping all over!
Instead of tieing a knot in the lines go pick up some gear ties and wrap that around the rig lines and slide it as far down towards the decoys as you can. That will keep them from tangling up . and its easy to take off when in the water setting decoys plus after you set the decoys you can just hang the tie on your d ring loops on your waders while you hunt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts