Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stoeger 2000 or Benelli Nova in Max 4 with a 28" barrel

I'm looking at getting one of the above come tax refund time.

Anyone have any input that can help me decide which one to go for?

Right now, they are pretty much dead even tie in my mind and would probably be happy with either.

Currently, I'm using an old Mossberg 500 for goose and other bird hunting, but it's starting to get tired and jam up more than ever before.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Neither.... I wouldn't buy any Italian gun. Stay close to home and buy Browning, Winchester or Mossberg. At least you don't have to wait 4 mo. for a barrel

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
If you are dead set with the two you have listed, I would get the Nova. That is, if it fits you properly. I know a lot of guys that have beat on theirs and they keep shooting. The only problems I have heard or have had myself is short shucking and not feeding another shell. The 3.5 in. guys have a longer stroke and take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies,

I forgot to check out Browning...since I'm left-handed the BPS might be a good choice too. I'm a little bored of the Mossberg line--I've had 3 already.

After handling both the Benelli and Stoeger the other day, the Stoeger seems easier to handle for a lefty.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Nova is a piece of junk. Ask my little brother what happened today. I second loooking into a BPS.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad I came here first before impulse buying at Cabela's the other day!

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods today to reevalute all the shotguns and have it narrowed down to this order:

1. Browning BPS - built like a brick $hithouse!
2. Mossberg 835 - just feels right
3. Stoeger 2000 - price and light-weight

Benelli is now out of the running...so unless I hit the lottery, I'm guessing that come next goose season one of the above will be resting in my X-Land'r with me.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had a BPS and they are pretty rugged and dependable, I also really liked the bottom ejection. It only shot 3" but that was fine for me at the time. I shot that thing at everything for 3 years and never had a problem, used it as a paddle a couple times too!! Traded her for an X2, probably should've kept it as a backup gun. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Stoeger 2000 last year specifically for use as a goose gun (I needed an excuse to buy another gun). Even a buddy of mine is impressed with the thing and he is on his third Benelli. A lot of the parts and options are interchangeable with the SBE (choke tubes, Mercury recoil reducer, etc.). Mine is in Max 4 camo and has the 28" barrel. It comes with 5 choke tubes and standard is 3" chamber. I would've liked to have the 3 1/2", but they don't make it in anything but 3", which is no big deal to me. I have never had a single malfunction with mine and would highly recommend it. If you want the Benelli SBE's little brother and want to save about $800, this is the gun to have. Benelli owns Stoeger anyways. I paid $480 for mine new, but I have seen them for right around $400 most places.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Add 2 more to my growing list...

4. Mossberg 935
5. Remington 11-87

Your opinions are very much welcomed on these shotguns, too.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my Dad the 11-87 and it has been a great gun so far. It is much heavier than my SBE but he is happy with it. I seem to be the only guy in the world who has not had trouble with my SBE or that doesn't bad mouth them. It is by far the best gun I have owned but opinions on guns is like arguing what truck you prefer. My two cents especially after reading everyones seemingly one sided posts on what's the best gun is go for what feels right for you and what you want to spend. Good luck and let us know what you get as I do have some left handed friends wanting to get into goose hunting.

Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gilmore1011 said:
I bought my Dad the 11-87 and it has been a great gun so far. It is much heavier than my SBE but he is happy with it. I seem to be the only guy in the world who has not had trouble with my SBE or that doesn't bad mouth them. It is by far the best gun I have owned but opinions on guns is like arguing what truck you prefer. My two cents especially after reading everyones seemingly one sided posts on what's the best gun is go for what feels right for you and what you want to spend. Good luck and let us know what you get as I do have some left handed friends wanting to get into goose hunting.

Scott
Yes, everyone has their favorite (Chevy vs. Ford...I've always been a Jeep guy) and it's no easy decision for me since they (shotguns that is) each have something that I like as far as features.

When I go to put the cash on the counter, I know that these are the features that I'll require after all this keyboard pounding:

1. feel good shouldering / swing through (with & without hunting coat on)
2. ambidexterous controls
3. have a durable camouflage finish (Max 4 or MOSG)
4. solid feel in construction
5. price/value

As far as pump or semi-auto, I'm open to trying something new, but I won't be upset sticking with racking a slide--I guess I better just go and get one, I'm starting to sound like my wife when she's trying to match a purse to her outfit! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, came home today with a Mossberg 935 in Max-4 with a 26" barrel.

Paid $529 for it at Cabela's.

Now to see how it will shoot...I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Browning BPS Hunter and I like it duck and Goose hunting and have never had a problem with it. I'm left handed and love the bottom ejection. The only thing I don't like about it is that it kicks like a horse when shooting blue rock. I'm thinking of buying a Benelli Nova 12 gauge with the Max 4 camo and 28" barrel. They are $369 at my local gun dealer. I have heard alot of good things about them, such as less recoil, less weight, 3 1\2" chamber instead of only 3" on my Browing which are made in Japan now, the Benelli has a recoil reducer kit, screw off recoil pad with space in stock, more durable, and is over $200 cheaper then a new Browing BPS with Mossy oak Break up or Wet lands camo. The only main thing I really do like better about Browing is that it ejects out the bottom. Remington 870 is the only pump shotgun, that I know of, that makes a pump shotgun that ejects out the left side for left hand shooters. I am still undecided what pump shotgun I'm going to buy at this point. But the Benelli Nova has the most potential, for the price, durability, options, and recoil. Does anyone recommed a different shotgun for a left hand shooter with the same options?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts