Goose Hunting Forum banner

Snows pushing North yet??

17K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  ChrisHustad 
#1 ·
Anyone seen any snows pusing north through the central yet. I am patiently awaiting my first spring decoy hunt in Nebraska.

#2 ·
I'm also in the Husker state, living in Kearney. I've been hearing a lot about birds being in southern kansas right now. Is this true and when are we gonna get to see some? :D

#3 ·
Ok, I just got a call from North Platte, and my buddy saw four big flocks while out ice fishing today, and he could hear them flying over while I was talking to him. Whhoooa, everybody get ready and good luck.

#5 ·
Husker, I plan on hunting quite a bit in the Holdredge area, as well as a little around Hastings and North Platte. I'm out of class on thurdays, so I will be able to hunt 3 days out of the week. I'm sure it will still be several days before there is a huntable population around here, but I'll let you know what we find. Good luck searching, it might be tough.

#6 ·
My Brother called me today and said with the south wind we had yesterday that we had a pile of snow geese here in East Central Kansas. We live .5 miles from Flint Hills NWR, and he has to drive by the marshes on the no hunting side to get to school. We just got some strong North winds here in the last half hour, so they will probably be pushing back south. According to the weather reports, it may be past March 1st before they make it back this way. Good Luck guys. This is my first year spring decoy hunting, so I am just as anxious as you guys.

#8 ·
I'm in North Platte this weekend, and it's pretty windy. I've been outside painting decoys today, and seen around 40 flocks of migrators. About 1/4 of these have been snows, and all the others are specks and little canadas. I think I'm gonna go out and try a little pass shooting right now, I'll post how I do later.

#9 ·
Had the first snow goose decoy hunt ever today. Lots of birds here. Had large groups trying to decoy, but wouldn't cross over the 40 yard mark. It was impressive to watch them work. Set up under their main flyway to feed in bean stubble. I think part of the problem was lack of places to hide. We are gonna give em heck this afternoon too. Good Luck

Matt

#10 ·
Had the first snow goose decoy hunt ever today. Lots of birds here. Had large groups trying to decoy, but wouldn't cross over the 40 yard mark. It was impressive to watch them work. Set up under their main flyway to feed in bean stubble. I think part of the problem was lack of places to hide. We are gonna give em heck this afternoon too. Good Luck

Matt

#14 ·
Sorry, I was assuming you were from Kansas. It is located in between Hartford and Neosho Rapids, KS. Emporia is our nearest city. It is right of I-35. There didn't appear to be as many snow geese this morning. Had a couple hundred in the field behind my house. The were flying over the house low enough to shoot at.

Stay Safe and Good Luck.

Matt

#16 ·
Hey guys. Lots of snow geese now arriving daily in central nebraska. A lot of my buddies have been out pass shooting, getting a few. Many birds are still mixing in w/the canadas, but numbers are constantly growing. There are definately enough to decoy now, so good luck to everyone.

#17 ·
Went out today and hunted over about 300 decoys. Ended up shooting just one, but had 4 others decoy while we were away from the spread(figures). Migration has to be close to peak, we saw well over 100,000 throughout the day, it was amazing!

#20 ·
Talked to my little brother today. He said he hasn't seen many snow geese lately. We had a strong north wind last monday, and I think they got pushed back south for a while. He is going out tomorrow since there will be a 25-35mph south wind. I am gonna go home next wednesday to hunt. Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Matt

#21 ·
My little brother called while I was in Hazmat class, and said that they shot 25. I talked to my mom and she confirmed the story. Also talked to a couple friends that jumped a pond early this morning, and they shot 45. Stay Safe and Good Luck.

Matt

#22 ·
Just pass shot today for a little while, ended up shooting 4 blues and a snow, saw lots of people killing LOTS of birds. We're gonna try decoying tomorrow, with a big spread, so I'll post how that all goes. Hopefully the wind and rain will keep them low so we can shoot a few. :) Good luck to everyone!

#24 ·
We hada a pretty miserable day decoying last sunday, with lots of rain and wind. Laying in the field was very messy, and we only shot 3 birds, but got to see many more. Next time out will be thursday, I'll keep posting.

#25 ·
Anybody know where those wily white birds are. My little brother says that he hasn't seen em for a couple days. I have heard a couple flocks flying over late at night when we were playin basketball. Are they already up north, or do we still have some coming up from the south?

#26 ·
The largest concentrations are in NW MO and S and SE Nebraska. SD G&F hotline claims over 2 million in the RW Basin in NE. No matter what the number is there's a lot there. A lot more are pushing into the N. part of NE and some small bunches are being spotted all over the Cen. to S. half of SD the past couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.