Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on snow goose hunting in Canada. Nothing too deep, just a general idea of the flyway and where to start.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's more snows on the eastern side, the western has more specks. Also more blues on the east, just snows/ross on the west.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's correct, if you want specks you gotta go west!

Swift Current area along the Saskatchewan river is the most notable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more popular areas are the Quill Lakes, Last Mountain Lake and the Saskatchewan River. Don't let people fool you thinking they're the ONLY place to go, most of the best hunting is off the beaten path.

Look for the pockets of small to medium size water in the central parts of the province.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'll second Saskatoonages thinking. Keep away from the "circuses" at Quill and S SK river. Scout other areas instead and you will be richly rewarded instead of fed up, Pod, etc.. with all the other hunters.

And as for distribution, ya all are right on----many blues in MB this year--more Blues than Snows. SOme fields were 70% blues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The eastern half of Sask. and Manitoba offer the most consistant snows, blues and canadas. The last several years the western side of Sask. and Alberta have had little or no water.
Friends are telling me about taking there quad-runners through dry potholes looking for shed antlers and instead, are finding buffalo skulls from the 1800's. Now does that tell you how dry it is?
I've hunted in both places and 2 years ago it was sad. I'll need alot of snow and rain before I go back.
What the other guys have said is true, the Quills, the Pas, and other places are good. but, the pressure is bad (by Canadian standards). look for areas that have large lakes (in that corridor) with agriculturial land surrounding it.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts