Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: I want to make a few dz. goose silos out of coraplast and air brush the paint. Being my first time, I sure could use those experienced at this with preparation, colors,and techniques. Please help!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am new to making silo's my self and am experimenting with different materials. What is coraplast and where can I find it?? I am using 1/8' fiber board right not but am not sure how that will hold up in wet conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coraplast is plastic cardboard. I bought black 4mm 4'x8' sheets at a local sign shop $15 a sheet. I can make 12 mags per sheet. I haven't decided on what to use as stakes yet. Tailgunr

·
Registered
605 Posts
Coraplst has limitations. It is not durable in the sense that you need to be careful not to crush it, it is though very lightweight, a big +. But it can easily bend with the grain just like cardboard does, but it is stronger than cardboard.

Fiberboard is ok--but be sure to soak the edges with oil based paint so the water does not wick it up into the fiber, it too has limitations in that you can snap them.

1/4" marine plywood is best for durability--but it is a lot heavier and more expensive---but if decoys are left out for the season, a good choice.

The inherent problem with all silos is glare from the sun reflecting off of them and flaring the geese. Thus IMHO the flatter the paint the better. But falt paint does attract dirt easier and does not hold up to the eliments as when compared to say gloss paint. All said and done--I still would go with the "ultr-flat" paint. Krylon brand makes it.

As for Coraplast, being it is plastic, my concern is that will paint stick to it well. Meaning maybe a bonding primer should be used first before the main colors are applied. I know that on plastic decoys it is a major problem which leads to paint flaking off. Thus why I brought it up, I would hate to go to as the expense and work and have the paint peel. Thus closely look into preparing it properly before painting.

Also airbrushing or spray can is better than paintbrush because the coats go on thinner and less likely to peel on plastic. But for the Plywood or Fiber Bd nothing beats a coat of oil bsed primer applied by brush first and then airbrush them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know a couple of people who use masonite for their silo's.. Look pretty good to me and they didn't seem very heavy.. Pretty durable too..

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Anybody know what color to paint the feet and bills on snow goose decoys?

·
Registered
605 Posts
NRG what type of goose are you trying to paint? Orange??? :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts