Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 100 texas rags to hunt snows. My spread will consist of 6 full body decoys, 24 shells, 24 silohettes, and 100 rags. Is this a big enough spread to bring in some snows? I hunt near the refuges (Sacramento, Delevan) in Northern CA.

I have hunted with guides that had 6-700 dekes and done well, but setting up that many decoys solo would be very difficult.

Turk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doing the same here in Arkansas. Can one or two hunters set up a small productive spread? I continue to experiment with rags, shells, silo's in small spreads but have yet to produce consistently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always done well with 100 texas rags and up to 300 non-glare paper plates, spreading them around and behind the rags to add mass. Plus a lot of calling to add realism (since we're always competing with several "spreads" of up to 5,000 live snowgeese). It's always amazing when you have 500-1,000 geese fly over - you almost forget to shoot.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
If you're going to use rags, keep working on building the numbers. We buy the northwind bodies, custom paint them, and put 'em on stainless steel stakes. Not too expensive and great to add over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts