Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is more important quality vs. quantity. I believe quality is more important. However it is also important to have quantity. What do you think?

G

·
I would say that 2-3 dozen dekes would be fine if placed fairly well and assuming that what you have are good. For every dozen magnum shells, I would recommend that you pick up at least a 4-pack of Big Foots. In the early season, you probably need so many. However, as the season progresses, geese are better attracted to bigger numbers--at least that has been my impression. Of course, if you're competing with live geese in an adjacent field, it doesn't matter whether you have a million Big Foots!

Presentation of dekes is equally as important as numbers. But when the day is done, I would advocate at least 2-3 doz. as a minimum.

Good luck,

Gooser

·
Registered
28 Posts
Down here in TX, we have found that there is a medium you have to stay on. We used rags our first few seasons and only shot a few geese. The next year we got 5 doz. regular real-geese and the success rate went up a little. We hunted with a guy with 25-30 doz outlaws and limited out in an hour. We are now hunting over a spread of about 20 doz pro series real-geese and 6 doz fullbodies. We'll see this season what a high quality/high quantity spread will do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On cloudy days I would say more the better. On sunny days though, I would say quality is more important. The sun shining off your decoys can be the worst thing ever and for sure will scare the geese.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 3 doz bigfoot, 4 doz mag shells and i start out with that and a few mallard decoys in the early season but for sure as the season goes on i also use another 3 doz herters shells and have the best cover bcuz of hunting pressure in the area and the size of the flocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have found that it changes from day to day. Sometimes we start out with 8 doz. full bodies ranging from magnams to super mags and 5 to 6 doz rags. one day this might bring the geese in and it might not. If not we cut the spread in half and take out all the rags.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It all depends.

Hunter pressure, susbspecies you are hunting, early VS late season, etc, etc...

As Bighonker pointed out, he has found lots of decoys are needed--becuase I bet he is hunting lessors in TX--which like lots of decoys.

As for Giants that I hunt, in the early season, I will use 9 flocked Bigfoots. Later I will use all 3 dz, and in late season I'll use the "garage sale" spread of added 2 dz mag shells, and 3.5 dz Real Geese pros, and a few magnets added for movement to get the numbers up.

As for high pressure areas, well it seems quality is a must from my experience. A tip is use something completely different from what they are used to seeing--meaning if everybody is using Bigfoots, use silos or shells---change up the appearance. But conversely, in very low hunting pressure areas, a guy can use 2 dz shells and do well.

In my experince it is best to buy the good quality gear so it lasts many years VS cheap gear that last a season or 2. You will be $ ahead and have alot less frustration too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know much of anything but I thing it all depends on where you are hunting, time of year , hunting pressure, feild conditions, and the weather all play a key role in what kind of spread you should present and what kind of decoys you should use.

shoot'em in the lips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts