Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of us, i have big dreams and little pockets. so instead of five or six dozen big foots, my spread consists of 6 big foot feeders, 3 dozen standard carry lite shells (in good shape), and another dozen and a half magnum and standard shells of various makes. Some of which aren't in the best shape. (bad paint, missmatched heads etc). As the season goes on, more and more geese are flairing from my dekes. I understand that they get deke and call shy from all the hunting toward the end of the season. So my question is this. Am I better off using everything i have and just hope for the best, or would I be better off using a slightly smaller spread of just my best dekes? I'm gunning over winter wheat and cut soy bean, and believe me, there are plenty of geese in the area. I see hundreds fly by evey day. A little flagging usually gets plenty of flocks to come get a closer look, but i just can't get them in close enough. They deffinately aren't seeing me. I'm very well camoed, and i don't get call crazy either. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Are you hunting the same location over and over? Or are you moving your spread around. Your setup and deke mix don't sound like such a big issue. In the future you could look at updating your paint or even flocking the heads of the dekes that you've got. The biggest issue later in the season is that the birds have not only been schooled on calls and decoys, they have their PHDs. Try altering your location on the field and the layout/placement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feed back fella's. unfortunately, i'm only permitted to hunt one corner of the field. I do change to dekes up every day according to wind direction. i also try to place the best dekes right near me, and them fade into the older ones out toward the end of my set up. funny thing about them damn geese. every morning bout half hour before shooting time i get 4 or 5 pitch right in to the spread. what's even funnier is that i'm usually standing right in the middle of it moving dekes around. then come half hour till sun up, can't buy a lander.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I acually like to put my best dekes where the birds are going poss over first. By the time they get to the less than perfect dekes, it's too late.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I like to put my best ones on the points of my U spread and our best silos around our blinds. Funny you should mention blind placement, ponass. Last year in the late season we had our blinds in the dekes as usual. First group wouldn't finish. We moved our blinds 10 yards away into some taller fescue and out of the winter wheat. Did so well we kept doing that until the end of the season. We usually use everything we have, putting our old dekes as fillers here and there in the middle of our spread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again fellas for sharing your knowlege with a rookie. putting the best dekes out on the points does make the most sence to me. was doing it the other way around, against my gut feeling and what common sence told me because somebody who probably doesn't know much more than me told me to do so. think i'm gonna do just what you guys said. it just makes sence that what they see first can make or break their decision to land. ...................... man, what did people do before you could ask questions and get answers from across our great country at the stroke of a key or two?.................. A lot of trial and error, and a lot of frustration to go along with it. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.