Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new hunter.Never fired a gun before.My dad wants to spend more time with me,so were going hunting for duck and goose.I was wondering what the kick of a 3 foot 20 guage pump Browning model.Please dont laugh.I just wanna make my dad proud.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your hunting ducks and geese, you're probably going to be using steel shot, and recoil from that is pretty light, just keep the stock tight against your shoulder, you'll be fine, and nobody's laughing 'cause everybody had a first time once. I'd like to wish you the kind of enjoyment hunting that I've had over thes many years afield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.I saw my cousin fire his youth model crack barrel at the range today(went along because we were also going to the arcade)and it brusised his sholder.He now has the gun up for pawn.I dont blame him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like a case of the gun not fitting properly, or not shouldering it correctly, usually those youth guns are just way to light to absorb recoil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
godd luck new hunter. if you think about the kick it will hurt a little more. but like previousely stated if you you hold it tight against your shoulder it is not bad, and once you start shooting at game you wont even hear the gun go off let alone feel it. just remember hunting takes a lot of patience and time but it can be a very rewarding and memorable time with your father. good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't worry about the kick. The thrill of lineing up the duck and pulling the trigger will compensate for that. In fact, you might not feel it till the next day! Enjoy the hunt and the time with your father.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its ok we've all been there not knowing whats up and down about the sport.. and if ur dad has been a long time hunter he knows this as well and will help u thru most of it... Like i havent quite learned that getting out of the boat to early not to hit land always results in me being up to my hips in mud :D

Shotgun tips.
Heavier gun = less recoil
Larger Ga. = more recoil
(Gauge is the number of lead balls equal to the dia. of the barrel to make 1lbs)
Steel Shot = less recoil
Semi-Auto Action = less recoil (semi-auto action takes some of the recoil)
Shot size = depends
(the larger the number the smaller the shot, smaller shot less recoil)
Recoil Reducer Pad = less recoil
Ducks = Adrinaline = recoil ?! theres recoil?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck hunting with your dad. My dad and I started hunting together when i was eight years old and i am not 21. I still remember my first hunt like it was yesterday, i never felt the recoil of my 20 ga, either due to all the clothes i was wearing or i was so excited. But i shoot very often an rarely feel the recoil. Take time shouldering the gun, that way you will shoulder it right and you wont get a bruise. Hope that i was a help to you. Good luck and enjoy the time spent with your dad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Start off by shooting 2 3/4 in 7 or 8 shots to get the feel of the gun, shoot at some clay pigeons or doves, then once you get comfortible start going up in shot sizes. Like everybody says when you're lined up on the goose, it's like riding a bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
try to relax and have fun with it. I taught my son to shoot last spring he is eleven and shoot a 12 ga. semi auto. He was really frightened at first but once he sot a couple of rounds he has a lot of fun.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am 15 now and i started out with Browing BPS Gold Trigger Series 20Ga. Pump still use it only for ducks. geese I use my uncles 12ga. same thing just different gauge for geese. recoil should be nothing. just focus on aiming and you wont feel a thing. put the bead on the head, pull trigger and keep aiming even after you shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
find whats comfortable and when u shoot don't think about itthink of the bird that will fall u won't feal a thing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi i'm only `3 and the first gun i shot before my first hunt was a 12 ga. remington 11-48 with NO GAS IN IT giving more kick. I'm gonna kill my dad for that! lol. The next day i was nervous but I didn't notice the kick at all, i was soooo excited about my first bird! So don't worry at all a 20 ga. shouldn't hurt at all! It really depends on the size shell but the excitement will make all the pain go away!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts