Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well goose season has been out for a month now, and after not killing many birds i thought i was getting burnt out. Well the day after the season was over i was ready to go again. I was just wondering what ya'll do in the off season to occupy your time?? I personally fish, work, and finish off the school year, and dream for november to roll around so i can at least start duckin again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know what you mean man I'm going nuts. To make it worse I got an Avery Finisher for my B-DAY(its my first blind) Im fairly new to the sport and still this sucks. I also do a lot of fishing and turkey seasons around the corner so I think I'll make it.

P.S. I only have to wait till Sept. :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I fish for trout, hunt turkeys, hunt crows, hunt groundhogs, make food plots for the deer up the mountains, work on the deer hunting trailer up the mountains, shoot some clays, the list goes on and on. :lol: There is always something to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm surprised at how quickly I don't like the cold weather. I mean, during season it was rarn' to go, zero, wind chill whatever. Now it seems to be a factor maybe I'm gettn old lol

crow hunting
walleyes are soon happening :D
work on boat decoys

TRY TO BE A BETTER CALLER

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whats the off season?? I never really experience an off season. Usually by the time one thing ends I'm starting to get a craving for some other sport. During the summer months I do a lot of Atlantic Salmon fishing, and trout fishing. By August I'm getting into gear for hunting, (scouting, checking decoys, practicing calling, target/clay shooting etc) by October most of the birds have left here and I usually turn my attention to caribou hunting. After thats finished I usually do some trapping, snowmobiling and ice fishing. This time of year I usually start craving for salmon fishing again, so I start tying flies, reading tips and tricks about the sport etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well down here there is no such thing as caribu, or salmon, or ice fishing, although i wouldn't pass up a chance to do any of them. yeah i can fish but but that's it. Nothing beats goose hunting, NOTHING!!! It's up there with sex!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
66 Posts
HIt all the outdoor shows I can and also just getting started i contest calling. Other thatn that some fishing and getting decoys cleaned up and ready for next season. Only 7 more months.

Double Clucker

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, for me, there is no off season. I hunt hunt and hunt some more and if I'm not hunting I am doing something that has to deal with hunting. I'm getting ready for Spring Gobbler season in PA and Md. The summer brings groundhogs and small mouth bass on the fly rod. By that time, its time to hunt geese and doves. Its an endless circle of the outdors. I ccan't wait.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet the ground hogs on the fly rod is pretty interesting. You're gonna have to tell me how that's done :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Predator hunting has no off season. That is coyote, I live in wisconsin and I can hunt them year round except for gun deer season, because when you have that many "hunters" one of them will do something stupid and shoot a wolf. but other than that there is no off season.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Perhaps predator hunting is the answer. Turkey hunting sure hasn't been the cure. One morning as I was walking to my calling position, I flushed two wood ducks, & saw a total of about 8 to 10 geese. Turkeys? Saw one that flew away as I moved to a new calling position; it would be the last that I would see of him. :evil:

Off season is literally for the birds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Most of April I scout and hunt turkey. Then it is time to bust some clays. I need to try some load combos in my 50 cal muzzle loader. Going to try to get to the white river in arkansas and trout fish. Do a couple canoe/camp trips in S MO.
The biggest project I got going is flocking my goose heads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't hardly wait for Sept 1 to dust a few.

Johnch

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys how 'bout this. my buddy talked me into blowing in a calling comp.
sounds corny sure but what a way to get through the "off season".it makes you practice for a good 2 months before each comp., you learn lots of new **** to try in the blind next season and you compete against other guys just
like yourself. gives you a chance to win some new gear make contacts , it's a blast i challenge all of you to give it a try bet you'll like it. :beer:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow. That was the longest five months of my life. And there's still a week left. Why didn't somebody warn me a couple years ago not to buy a shotgun!

And how did you guys ever live without spring light-goose season?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts