Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get into duck and goose hunting this year but I am having a hard time finding a place for my 10 year old and myself to hunt. Seems like every landowner I have asked has had a bad experience and doesnt allow people to hunt their land or they lease it to hunting clubs.
Does anybody know of some public areas nearby or some landowners who let people hunt their land.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Where do you live and how hard are you willing to work? If you go to the Division of Wildlife website they have a section dedicated to SWA's (State Wildlife Areas) Look in there and you can find some public land. Just make sure you read carefully to see which ones allow hunting and what the regs are because each one is different. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Longmont. I have thought about some of the swa areas and have hunted the thompson ponds. What do you know about the areas that require reservations? I beleive there is one in Greeley.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know much about the SWA's here in CO that require reservations. I hunt one in Neb. that you have to apply for a res. at the beginning of the year. I have hunted the Thompson ponds and also the simpson ponds. Mostly simpson and I have done quite well on both. That best time I've found to go is in the middle of the week because there aren't as many guys out there. I have also hunted one just south of Greeley in Evans but it get hunted pretty hard. If I were you I would just call up and ask about the reservations. I would be interested to find out about them myself. I would think that if you need a reservation you might find some more resonsible and ethical hunters. It might be a great place to try. If you do let me know. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has been my experience that the public land in nothern colorado is extremely overcrowded, DOW could care less, and more and more private land is being taken up by guides and outfitters, unfortunately goose hunting is becoming a rich mans sport, unaffordable to your average joe that likes to go out every weekend for the whole season. So if you do get lucky enough to get on some private land make sure that you keep up good relations with the land owner so you don't give all hunters a bad name. Write to the DOW and let them know what you think about the public land situation in Northern Co. Chances are they won't do anything, you might get a rude response from them (I did). The only thing that will get them to get creative in improving the situation is if everyone quit buying licenses, and that isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a little drive for you but a lot of Coloradans go to Lake McNaughnahay(Big Mac). The west end is Clear Creek Wildlife Management area. They have 11 pit blinds right next to the refuge(about 10 feet away) with 2 dozen decoys in each blind for 5bucks a day fee. Its on the Nebr. game and parks site. Hope you and your boy find somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have to sign up early for reservations at clear creek on big mac? If not, and you go on a weekend can you usually get in a blind?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is the place that I hunt when I'm up in Neb. It's not a bad drive if the goose hunting is good. You will definatly see some geese. Most of the time I have had a great hunt except for a couple of times when the guys next to us feel the need to shoot at anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you should check out sterling colorado if thats not too far. they have alot of swa land avalible for hunting. its right on a large river where you can set decs and wade to the middle and find cover in the brush. you see more ducks there but dont be suprised before sundown to k/o some honkers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
cutthroatdave said:
It has been my experience that the public land in nothern colorado is extremely overcrowded, DOW could care less, and more and more private land is being taken up by guides and outfitters, unfortunately goose hunting is becoming a rich mans sport, unaffordable to your average joe that likes to go out every weekend for the whole season. So if you do get lucky enough to get on some private land make sure that you keep up good relations with the land owner so you don't give all hunters a bad name. Write to the DOW and let them know what you think about the public land situation in Northern Co. Chances are they won't do anything, you might get a rude response from them (I did). The only thing that will get them to get creative in improving the situation is if everyone quit buying licenses, and that isn't going to happen.
A lot of truth spoken here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts