Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been hunting ducks and geese for years but never bothered to learn how to use a call, so a few weeks back I decided I would learn. I went to a local sporting goods store and picked up a Primos Honky Tonk for around $15 watched a few video's 30 min later I good break the call over no problem, a few more video's and a few weeks later I can do the cluck double cluck, cluck moan ,spit note, spit moan and a few more not well, but I can do them. Which brings me to the reason for this post. I decide to up grade to a little higher end call so I ordered a Field Proven Workhorse with fully worn guts, and for neither love nor money can I get this call to break over. In all the video's I watched they tell you not to rely on back pressure to break the call as it will limit you further down the road with advanced notes, you must learn to use forward air pressure to break the call. Is there something I am missing here as far as mechanics with a fully worn gut system. I use the same technique I use with the honky tonk but the call will simply not break over

Thanks in advance Tony

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
it sounds like the call is not set up/tuned properly. A set of worn in guts should run easier than standard guts. That being said, I can't say I've heard much good about that brand.... There's no reason that call shouldn't be working for you if the primos is responding as you want it to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Plainsman appreciate it I will give it a read and watch a few videos and start messing with it. Is there two or three brands and model of call that will not cost me my first born that you would recommend.

Cheers Tony

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
your budget will be a factor....Grounds makes great calls (G force...supermag...pro mag)....Legendary Gear also makes quality calls....there are also some poly calls that perform very well...all depends on what you want to spend. Feel free to pm me so I can help on a more specific scale.

Reactions: Tony v
1 - 4 of 4 Posts