Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else notice this, once the local Geese start seeing some pressure they hide at the Golf Courses?

We had a nice local flock of at least 108 Canadas we scouting for two months feeding in fields we had permission. I have taken eight of them out of smaller family groups and now they are all flocked on the local golf course. I have been keeping an eye on them all 124 Canadas and 150-200 Mallards and they are feeding on the grass and roosting in the ponds.

I wonder how much snow it will take to get them to start feeding elsewhere? We have a freshly cut cornfield a block from the grain field they have been working for several months. I am wondering when they will start working this cornfield.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
If they've taken up hiding at the local golf course, no problem. Get a tee time set up and replace your driver with a 12 iron! :wink: If you need somebody to fill out your foursome just give me a holler! :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was standing on the green glassing the flock of 124 and I was already going nuts then I saw jewelry on one of them. It sucks to know these are the same geese that were landing in our decoys the week before. I hope we get some more action from them and hopefully from some Northerns if the weather will cooperate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
WHy in the hell don't you ask the golf course owner if you can hunt it?? I saw your post on Nodakoutdoors, why not try asking. I've had 2 different friends land permission for the best shoot of their lives on golf courses, along with I have a video of Kelley Powers and some killing some geese on a course in pits!!! :roll:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be a shoot of a lifetime, but it is within city limits. I am not sure it would be possible to shoot geese on the course, but I guess there is no harm in asking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
were in the smae situation that ur in here. we have a resident population of around 400 and they fly in the morning to the golf course ponds and at night bakc to some ponds near a trailer park. everyday they do this and there is no way that anyone could ever change there flight path. only in the dead of winter will they change their flight path when the ponds all freeze and then they fly to the quarry by our farm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily, we got some weather in the last 9 days we have had rain/snow and the forecast shows for another 5 days atleast. Some geese have gone out looking for better feed and some are working the corn field and grain fields we hunt. But the majority are at the course, I counted 131 today and five bands. A flock of 7 came in the grain Sunday and I got one. We have a flock of 14 that have been working our corn for five days and they will get a suprise tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
97 Posts
how big of a spread are you guys using that you cant get them to change their path, and go to where your at? we usually dont have to big a problem with doing so but we will hunt with 100+ bigfoots

·
Registered
12 Posts
it all depends who i go with by usuaually we have four or five dozen shell decoys along with three dozen windshocks. the reason it hard to lure them in is because they rarely leave the city limits and can fly from the ponds on the course back to the ponds by the trailer park without leaving the city limits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
it all depends who i go with by usuaually we have four or five dozen shell decoys along with three dozen windshocks. the reason it hard to lure them in is because they rarely leave the city limits and can fly from the ponds on the course back to the ponds by the trailer park without leaving the city limits.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok i gotcha now, that sucks, that is usually the way it works. Well if you want the bands from them just get some sleeping pills and feed them to them with some bread, then take the band when they are sleeping. i know someone who did that once and got a 100 reward band off of a bird

·
Registered
24 Posts
i work at a army base here in maryland. every year they have a 2 day hunt that u can draw in. our group got drawed this year for the first day and man did we have a blast. cant wait till next year

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have a friend who golfs alot and his dad is friends with the owner to the golf course here which is also along the river we have some fun

·
Registered
443 Posts
Duckman,

What base are you at Aberdeen or Detrick. If you guys spread them out I might want to look in the local area.

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
im at aberdeen. right now we are getting into the ducks real heavy along with the geese

·
Registered
57 Posts
#1 Waterfowler where is the scene of that tape located at? just wondering because ive hunted in a pit on a golf course before with the manager of the golf course it was awesome and i think ive heard of some famous hunting guys hunting on it too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts