Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sick of missing and I know there are plenty of guys out there that can shoot a goose dead when it's fly out across your spread(about 35 yds out) and doesn't really want to come in. What's the trick? I know it matters on how fast they are going so say they are kinda just going at a regular rate with a light wind from left to right. How much am I supposed to lead it? If shells matter...I'm shooting Remington High Velocity Nitro Steel, think it's like 1550 fps. Hope you can help. Just let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

-Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's hard to say how much to lead in numbers. The experts always say to use instinct to judge lead, but I've found that leading farther than my "instinct" has helped me more often than not. Experiment a few times and you will figure it out. Your best shot for a stone dead kill is penetration of the vitals (head, neck, chest). Geese are too big and tough to bring down quick with a butt or gut shot. Reach out past those necks and try to put one through their head.

As for your ammo, just find one that patterns well in your gun and is big enough for the job. I shoot bb Rem. Nitro's HV as well and they have worked well inside 40 yds for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm just gonna tell ya this. Sometimes in life a shot is not about ranges or how many miles per hour they're moving or what angle they're flying in. Its about knowing a Canada goose or whatever it is you're hunting. Yes all those factors like wind blowing your shot, ranges, shot size, and lead, as you said are extremely important. But this is certain; you need to miss the ball before you hit it. I guess the only way I think I can help ya is by tellin' ya to keep shooting. I'm no pro shooter. I miss more than I hit by a long shot. And I mean long-shot. Missing is just something you have to get over with and is something a lot of people don't like to admit to. The biggest reason people miss geese in my opinion is exactly what you stated. I just tell people you can't shoot too far in front of a dove or a goose. I read a dove article that stated the average dove shooter takes something like 8 shots per dove. That isn't hard to believe is it? A dove in flight is probably what? More than 10" with tail feathers and most of its body being a kill zone beings they're so fragile. Now take a 12 pound Canada goose, 3 times as long at least. Plenty of down, fat, and a lot more meat and bone with a lot smaller kill zone body wise. The dove is just plain harder to hit and that honkers harder to hit, plus, another 3/4's questioning being hit hard enough! Not to mention the loss in shot. Take a 1 1/8Oz load of 7 1/2's or 8's to a load of 1 3/8Oz BB or BBB. While I'm at it lets put all specifics into play. Picture if you will a dove flying over you 30MPH. Now that 12 pound goose at the same speed. Put that all together, shot to bird ratio has to be close to the same as that of a dove right? Trying to think about all this bull is too much to think about when a birds coming in. We've all had days when we made that one shot. Just an outstanding shot and we try to remember how to duplicate it when we should be thinking more about the shot you're being delt with. Every shot is different. The next one that comes in, you just focus on its head or bill. Hunting is practice
good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
hawk, I'm pretty new to waterfowling myself, but not to shooting. One thing I learned real quick is that geese are tough to knock down. I 've bagged a couple dozen canadas so far this season and find that i need to over exagerate my lead to get a kill. Generally, when they are crossing and out about 35 yards, i lead almost a full goose length. hard to get used to at first, but i got immediate results. also, don't forget to swing the barrel through the bird. don't just aim ahead and pull the trigger. You need to follow through even after the shot. Kinda hard to get used to also, but it does work. Don't know how big a difference shot size makes, but on days when they won't commit to the decoys and you have to take your shot as they are flairing away, i use "T" shot. Since my spread consists of 4 dozen shells and only a half dozen big foots, it's very rare to get these late season birds on the ground. They'll take a couple good looks, but then there on their way. The big shot has worked so well for me I haven't tried anything smaller. Good luck to you and happy holidays.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JWG, you made a very good point. But all those numbers i just read............ Getting dizzy......... just want to grab two fists full of my hair ( if i had any) and holler, "TWENTY ONE JIGGA-WATTS !?!?!?!?!?" But seriously, I think you're right, that's where i learned to shoot. Shooting doves. And no, you can't lead them too far, and yes, i still miss more than not. just takes patience and practice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't like to think about the shot because I will miss if I think to much. If I just do it, I will hit a lot more. I just watch the goose, start swinging my gun, then once I get past the goose, I pull the trigger and make sure I follow threw. At 40 yards the lead is about 4 feet or more. The best way to kill them is to shoot them in the head, so try to pull the trigger a little past the head at closer range (30 yards or less) and at longer range (30 yards or more) add a few feet. Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
My largest fault when I start to miss a few in a row is not swinging through. I have read that this is the #1 reason for missing birds. Usually when I realize this I go back to knocking them down again...food for thought.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here ya go, LISTEN TO THIS AND YOU'LL NEVER MISS!!!!

"BUTT, BELLY, BEAK, BANG"

Learn to follow through. Make sure you pattern test your gun to make sure you have the appropriate shell and load, along with the correct choke tube. Then it's just what I typed, learn to follow through, you'll be fine!! 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.