Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a primos flute call and can bring them in from a half mile away, the problem is the last 100 yards. The primos has alot of volume and I'm afraid it frightens them, would a small lower volume call help for the last 100 yards? :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i Had the same problum when i started with my goose flute it was a really loud call but in close it would scare the geese. Then i bout on of the quietest goose flute i could find and used it inside 200 or 100 feet.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
YOu could just do what the Johnson County guys here do and try and take them when they cross the 100 yards threshold. :evil:

Seriously though, my little brother calls with his $10 goose flute and it doesn't seem to bother them a bit. Maybe they are seeing something now that they are closer that they didn't see earlier. Concealment may be a reason they don't like to finish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rvoutdoorsman said:
I have a primos flute call and can bring them in from a half mile away, the problem is the last 100 yards. The primos has alot of volume and I'm afraid it frightens them, would a small lower volume call help for the last 100 yards? :?: :?: :?: :?:
you could just try making the feeding call, until they commit or flair. and if they flair get on them hard and then try the feeding sound again they will evetually commit and drop there feet and land.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right. Make that feeding call ("duh, duh, duh..."). Really puts them @ ease. Easy to do, doesn't take much air, so it won't seem as loud.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I agree with Mark. Feed calling when they come in with your off hand pretty much over the call, it is not that loud. If we do call, that is what we usually do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have used murmuring when the geese are in tight.. but the last 2 weekend, every bunch has flared from it.. went back to blowing our brains out at them... killed 2 limits in 3 days...

The moral.. keep trying every thing... the blowing hard is usually the wrong thing to do, but right now, it's working here in Ohio

Jerr

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Best thing you can do is to put the flute to rest and buy a quality shortreed.It'll take practice to get real good, but once you get it down, you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner. The sr is soooo much more versitile than the flute.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what i do is when there out there i give them some loud hail cals to get there attention and then once i have there attention i just call and call and call my lungs out until they set there wings. then i give really muffled clucks or moans and feeding calls. thats what i do on anything bigger than a 3 pack. but 3 and smaler what we do is just cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck over and over again and we will muffle it when they get closer but these small groups go nuts for exitement right now. especialy the solo's. they start dropping feet 70 yards out so theres no doubt what there going to do. i also blow a short reed. and i would advise any body who blows a flute to go buy a short reed and learn to blow that as well. i use to blow a flute and you just could not make the types of sounds as a short reed can. i was flaring geese all over the place with my flute. but not any more after i got the short reed......... they do a wonder for a hunter!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts