Goose Hunting Forum banner

ithica mag 10

31K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  plainsman 
#1 ·
:eek: When was the Ithica mag 10 made? Does it hold up well with the steel shot. A friend of mine is looking at one for 500.00 and is in excellent condition. It has a beautiful feathered stock and forearm. Are parts still available? When was production of the gun stopped? The serial #8000064921 meaning what? :roll:

#2 ·
I grew up not 30 miles from Ithaca, and have visited several times. The Mag-10 as everybody knows it (actually it was officially the Model 52), started production I think around 1977. I still have one of their 1978 catalogs that lists it. You can contact them at ithacagun.com . The earlier models can get a new barrel, but the gun has to go there to be fitted. I was told if the serial# ends with a dash 1 or dashI they can send you just the barrel. Some barrels are too thin to be fitted with choke tubes. We were told the original barrel would be usable as long as we stayed with steel shot smaller than size "T", but remember it is a full choke and will shoot VERY tight- mine shoots tighter than my buddys SP-10 with a turkey choke. $500 is a decent price for one in good shape. Any further questions feel free to PM me. :)

#3 ·
I have posted below another post on the MagTen. They first hit the market about 1973. I bought my first in fall of '74. I purchased about $250.00 worth of spare parts from Ithaca about 10 years ago.

I can only speak to this issue from 32 years of service shooting a 10 ga. And I am sure that some of you may agree with what I am about to say and others will certainly dis-agree and that is OK. When the 10 ga. first hit the market with an autoloader in the early 70s, only winchester was making a 2 oz. load. It was a paper hull, patterned poorly at 40 yards. An outdoor writer named Tom, I can't remember his name developed the one piece plastic wad. Later Federal started producing this wad. During those years the development of 10 ga. & 12 ga. shells got good. After Federal perfected their magnum loads with the one piece wad, NO 12 ga. gun could compete with the 10 ga. magnum. I have stood beside numerous men in goose blinds in TX. and held off on shooting while watching 12 ga. magnums (3") hit birds with shot and could here the shot hit the bird and I would stand up and shoot and kill the bird. This was not a one time deal. Now comes along the 3.5" 12 ga. I have a Remington 870 3.5" and did have a Benelli 3.5". I have made some outstanding long shots with both guns and I have absolutely no regrets ever shooting either gun. The 12 ga. 3.5" is probably the greatest gun built for all purpose you can get. If your stature can handle the weight and size of the 10 ga. and you want the best in long distance guns you can not beat the 10 ga.s built today. On paper the story is not always told. The size of bore of the 10 ga. is one of the advantages. You can push heavy shot loads from the larger bore with a faster burning powder and with a shorter shot string. More shot hits the bird at the same time with a 10 ga. You can use a more open choke to get tighter patterns. All of the loads today- 10 & 12 shoot tighter than they did 20 years ago. Most hunters use a choke that is to tight. The modern loads today shoot like a rifle. One final thing, if you consistantly shoot at birds and hear the shot hit the bird and he flys off or comes down wounded with a 12 ga. you can stomp the bird with a 10 ga. One of the situations that the 10 ga. shines is in truely high wind which you often get at the coast. If I was going to have to buy a truck load of shells that would have to last me my entire life and use them for ducks/geese I would purchase #1 shot. I have killed stone dead more geese with #1s. I wound many more with BB or T shot.

Ithaca MagTen
North Carolina

#17 ·
I have posted below another post on the MagTen. They first hit the market about 1973. I bought my first in fall of '74. I purchased about $250.00 worth of spare parts from Ithaca about 10 years ago.

I can only speak to this issue from 32 years of service shooting a 10 ga. And I am sure that some of you may agree with what I am about to say and others will certainly dis-agree and that is OK. When the 10 ga. first hit the market with an autoloader in the early 70s, only winchester was making a 2 oz. load. It was a paper hull, patterned poorly at 40 yards. An outdoor writer named Tom, I can't remember his name developed the one piece plastic wad. Later Federal started producing this wad. During those years the development of 10 ga. & 12 ga. shells got good. After Federal perfected their magnum loads with the one piece wad, NO 12 ga. gun could compete with the 10 ga. magnum. I have stood beside numerous men in goose blinds in TX. and held off on shooting while watching 12 ga. magnums (3") hit birds with shot and could here the shot hit the bird and I would stand up and shoot and kill the bird. This was not a one time deal. Now comes along the 3.5" 12 ga. I have a Remington 870 3.5" and did have a Benelli 3.5". I have made some outstanding long shots with both guns and I have absolutely no regrets ever shooting either gun. The 12 ga. 3.5" is probably the greatest gun built for all purpose you can get. If your stature can handle the weight and size of the 10 ga. and you want the best in long distance guns you can not beat the 10 ga.s built today. On paper the story is not always told. The size of bore of the 10 ga. is one of the advantages. You can push heavy shot loads from the larger bore with a faster burning powder and with a shorter shot string. More shot hits the bird at the same time with a 10 ga. You can use a more open choke to get tighter patterns. All of the loads today- 10 & 12 shoot tighter than they did 20 years ago. Most hunters use a choke that is to tight. The modern loads today shoot like a rifle. One final thing, if you consistantly shoot at birds and hear the shot hit the bird and he flys off or comes down wounded with a 12 ga. you can stomp the bird with a 10 ga. One of the situations that the 10 ga. shines is in truely high wind which you often get at the coast. If I was going to have to buy a truck load of shells that would have to last me my entire life and use them for ducks/geese I would purchase #1 shot. I have killed stone dead more geese with #1s. I wound many more with BB or T shot.

Ithaca MagTen
North Carolina
The Ithaca Mag 10 design is exceptional. Nothing has equaled it yet as 10 or 12 gauges go.

#4 ·
Hey guys: My Mag 10 has developed a problem. So far it I have only noticed it with Federal shells, but I have not tried any other brands. When fired the next shot will not release from the magazine tube. You cannot release it by running the bolt back or pushing the cartridge stop in from underneath. I can pull down the trigger group, clean around a little and put it back on and it will work fine for a while. I bought my Mag 10 used so I don't have a manual., Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Tulsey

#6 ·
The biggest issues for cycling with the mag 10's are usually associated with the plastic buffer behind the bolt. After a while it needs to be replaced and then usually you have a very good cycling firearm again. If you had not replaced your buffer in a while you may want to do that. They may be hard to come by so if you find one you may as well get several. I owned a Mag 10 the second year they came out as well. They were a very fine gun but after owning a Mag 10, SP 10, BPS 10 and Gold 10 I like the Gold 10 the best.

#8 ·
I had a Gold 10 in synthetic a couple of years ago. It was the new light weight with the alloy receiver. When I got laid off I unfortunately had to let it go. It will be the first gun I replace. Original Duratouch did come off but they have made improvements on it. The only areas I have seen wear on duratouch is on the edges.

#9 ·
this is the only gun to take out in the field. they are heavy but well worth it. mine has a 28" vr bbl with mod choke. perfect for long shots or close in shoots too. i want to buy a sp 10 and compare. should not be much diff as rem bought the tooling right?

#10 ·
The story I heard was Remington bought the patent rights to the Mag 10 after old Ithica went under. Remington supposedly re-engineered the gun.
From their web site.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Critical components -- including the barrel, bolt assembly, and trigger plate assembly of the Remington Model SP-10 and other manufacturers' 10-gauge shotguns -- are not interchangeable

I always wanted to see some gunsmith do a side by side comparison to see what was different. At one time Remington offered the Mag 10 with a synthetic stock which I thought might be a neat addition to a Mag 10 if it would work.

#11 ·
I too have had a cycling problem with my Mag 10 which I purchased from a collector at the end of the 03/04 season. This was my first year shooting it. I fired a few Federal and they seemed to work fine, I had the problem with Bismuth and Hevi-shot. Cost me some birds too.
How hard is it to access the plastic buffer? I see it when I clean the gun but have not gotten into the gun enough to see about getting the buffer out if needed.
I called Ithica and they were clueless when it came to the Mag 10. Anyone have any insight about where to look for parts?
I also bought a SBEII this year and loved the way it shot but it is back at Benelli right now. It too had a cycling problem.
It was an interesting season.

#12 ·
plenty of parts available at gunbroker.com do a search for "ithaca mag 10" as long as you keep the gun cleaned and well oiled you will have no problems. i used remington waterfowl steel with no problems this year and federals last year with no problem. there is no need to use hevi shot or bismuth with a 10 gauge as the regular steel loads are enough to do the job.

#13 ·
Romancenturian - thanks for the input. I forgot about gunbroker they may be able to fill my needs. I understand what you are saying about Hevishot and Bismuth for a 10 but I have two caveats.
1. I spoke to an old gunsmith when I bought the Mag 10 about whether the barrel was ok for steel. He told me that he had never seen a blown or bulged Mag 10 barrel but he had seen the chokes blown out. In other words, the gun instead of being full choked was now worn down to cylinder or wide open. I had this confirmed the one time I got through to an Ithica gunsmith. He suggested I send the gun in and have it rebored to modified for steel shot. I figured if I like the way the gun works I would have the barrel cut down and fitted with choke tubes. I know Hastings does this among others. Or, just keep the 32" with full choke and shoot Bismuth.
2. I load Bismuth in 3" & 2 3/4" 12 gauge and like the way it shoots and patterns. It did well in the Mag 10, very superior to the Federal Steel both on the pattern board and in the field. One shot kills were normal. The cycling problem kept me from swinging on another bird when flocks came in.
The Hevishot was a lark left over from a 10 ga double I was shooting. It did not pattern as well as the Bismuth, I think because of the full choke. Nor did it perform as well in the field.
All that having been said, if you like steel - shoot steel, if you like bismuth - shoot bismuth. Different strokes for different folks.

I do have a question for you though. How do you get to the spring in the stock to clean and oil it or do you clean it? I can't seem to access it.

Thanks, Ogre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.