Goose Hunting Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You seen a sp10 mag for 450 that's real cheap what's wrong with it becuse when I bought mine it was 1,499 plus tax mine is the camo wood stock but still that's only 150 or 200 dollar ad
JP_hntnfsh said:
Just saw a used mag 10 locally for $450...boy that sucker was heavy. Thought about buying it because the price seemed right.

JP
:shock:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Jeffrey2500 said:
You seen a sp10 mag for 450 that's real cheap what's wrong with it becuse when I bought mine it was 1,499 plus tax mine is the camo wood stock but still that's only 150 or 200 dollar ad
JP_hntnfsh said:
Just saw a used mag 10 locally for $450...boy that sucker was heavy. Thought about buying it because the price seemed right.

JP
:shock:
Ithaca Mag 10...Saw it again last night. $499...my bad.

JP

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Remington is more expensive because its newer and the current Ithaca has nothing to do with the old Ithaca's Mag10s. To the OP that Mag 10 price is outrageous. I see them on Gunbroker asking $700-$900 all of the time. I cringe at the thought somebody pays that. You can get a nearly new SP-10 or Browning Gold 10 for that. I have had three Mag-10s in the last year and paid $450 for 2 and $500 for one- and the $500 one came with deluxe wood (albeit a bit used), 4 choke tubes and a 32" barrel. If you have to have one now, and that is your price go with the SP-10, at least it will have full Rem support if needed. If you watch Gunbroker, auctionarms, gunsamerica, etc they come up for $500 and under all of the time but they go fast.

I also would replace the Mag-10 springs with the Wolff heavy springs, and I had the buffer blow on one of the Mag10s I bought- luckily it went on the shot right after I got my spring turkey, lol. Brittle old plastic chunks were everywhere. I was able to pick up a replacement original old stock buffer from http://ithacagunrepair.com/. I don't know if the SP10 buffer works or not.

Mag-10s rock! They are huge, and heavy but have less than a pump 12's recoil. I'm a big guy though, and recoil doesn't bother me much. They are great with steel and I picked up a ton of the Rem HD tungsten 10ga from Rogers when they were selling it cheap- that is a goose eater combo with the Mag-10.

Duckasarus, Goosasaurus,Turkeyasuarus = Deadasarus.

·
Registered
175 Posts
jj4two said:
Okay mikebig1, I went on line and Google d for the replacement springs at Wolff. A combination pack extra power spring pack, includes a recoil spring, hammer spring, and magazine spring; for $21.99 plus shipping. Any other things I need to know about the Ithaca Mag 10? I appreciate the information. As far as Gooseasauruses are concerned...I like to kill my birds outright...not wound them, and then my Lab have to get into a fist fight with them when he goes out and tries to retrieve them. I am tired of guys using under "gunned" firearms and ammo and just wounding birds. These majestic animals deserve better from us!!
I have always believed you should shoot the biggest gun you can handle. I use the 3.5" 12 myself. I want my geese dead, not crippled. Now the Hevi shot, nice shot, etc boys and the so called super hunter will say all you need is a 3" 12. They can kiss my azz. I want them dead, not flying off to be coyote or **** feed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear owners of Remington SP-10. Please make photos of trigger assembly, breaching bolt and inside the receiver. Or maybe full disassembling.
Two years ago I bought broken SP-10 and try to repair it. Sometimes it shoots good, sometimes it is like one barrel break-down.
So I need photos more than I found in google.
Unfortunately it is not Rem 870 and I have no way to buy new spare parts.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
War Wagon said:
You can go to Brownells, they have a breakdown of the SP-10. You can also order spare parts for the SP-10 from them too.
There is only few spare for SP-10 on brownells, midway, ebay etc. I nearly finished the repair, but I can try it shooting in few weeks only. Thanks to similar duckhuntingclub forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just what is your "impression" of being under-gunned?! If you're hitting the birds in the head/neck or in the vitals inside the killing range of the loads you're using, then your dog shouldn't have to chase down cripples in the first place! A bigger gauge gun is no excuse for poor shooting. :roll: I kill my "Gooseasauruses" pretty darn DEAD with my 12 gauge "pop" guns and a 1 1/4 ounce load of Expert 1's with regularity. I have had MAYBE enough cripples in the last 5 years to count on one hand and that's with about 400 rounds of ammo being fired in the field. The gun has absolutely NOTHING to do with the killing part. Sure the "big tens" are nice guns and will generally pattern a bit better than the 12's with the equivilant weight loads but ...not by much, especially if the shooter has taken the time to actually pattern his gun/load/choke combo! It is the shot you put into the bird that does the killing. Put up a decent pattern and shoot at the bird withing the killing envelope of the shot you're throwing up and as long as you can hit what you're aiming at, you should end up with a dead goose on the ground. 👍
This is old, but as I am here in 2021, others will also. I think you said it right when you said "killing envelope" . I've become a believer in load and choke, and I've come to realize that you can do ALOT with the right shooter, right choke, right load. BUT,,,with that said. I surely went target practicing a couple of weeks ago. Had my nifty 28 CZ sharptail sxs and my 16 ithaca 37. I'ma tell you, that ithaca had better range. Now I haven't shot a 10 yet; I'm here to listen to folks about some guns I'm considering. I'm here to tell you, the difference in gauges is undeniable. While you can stretch a smaller gauge with choke and load to give it better reach, if I stretched my larger gauge would it not have better reach as well?? I'm not tellin folks what to do, just what I see and experience. I shoot smaller and "odd" gauges. I don't care much for a 12, I'll grab my 16 first. I think the BEST thing to say is that you need the gun that fits you and your situation. It's like folks and their 4 boot rule, those boots don't fit my terrain. So when you're talkin guns and what to buy, the question is what are you using it for (game), where are you taking it (terrain), what are your capabilities or possible capabilities. almost all of my guns are around 5lbs except my 1st, it was a 9lb 12ga pump (18" barrel - i was a youngster with no mentor) - built up my upper body strength, hunted with no sling, gun was always carried at the ready. I had no idea anything was wrong. Fast forward nearly 20yrs and a new 28" barrel, heck yeah somethin is wrong, that gun is like 10/11lbs now (noticeable after not handling it for a few years). But i still remember when,,,,,I ran that bad boy like it was nothin. Sometimes I still use it to stay in decent shape (ie don't be afraid of weight, you can build upper body strength). My point is, I'd use a 10 for distance shooting, for those birds who taunt me just out of reach. I have a good hole, birds all around, but JUS outta reach. Got a sneak boat to help reach 'em, but I'd love to grab those suckers flying by a little too high. If I go to a place where I know the birds stay just out of reach, I'ma use a 10. If they're within distance, I'll use my 16, maybe a stretched 20. But I'd never use a 10 for shorter distances or smaller birds. I don't want the shot to mess with my meat. So what I'm sayin is,,,,,no matter how you stretch your gun with choke and load, it DOES have limitations and when it reaches those limitations. Consider another gauge. But admittedly in most cases you don't have to do that. I got a 16 for waterfowl, smaller gauges for most anything else, and i want that 10 to reach the unreachables, to go BEYOND the normal killing range.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts