Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from seasoned Goose Hunters. I am looking at buying a 10 gauge auto loader shotgun for goose hunting on the Texas Coast around Pt Lavaca. Right now, I am looking at these two shotguns to buy for that purpose...an Ithica Mag-10 or a Remington SP-10...both are used and in almost new shape. The Ithica asking price is $849 while they want $1249 for the Remington, but it is in a Moss Oak Duck Blind Camo. I could care less about the camo pattern on the Remington, and would prefer the Ithica due to the price, but more importantly I am interested in the quality, handling, jamming, patterning, and ability to stand up to heavy steel loads & weather conditions...mud and rain...of the firearms. Both are chambered for 3 1/2 inch magnum 10 gauge shells. Anyone know anything about these two...I alread own a Remington 11-87 12 gauge 3 inch mag that I use for duck hunting, and I love it. It handles steel shot magnum loads very weill...patterns excellently, and never jams. I am open to advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mechanically they are the same gun. When ithaca went out of business Remington bought their patents for the design of the gun.

Only thing to watch for on the old ithacas is some of older barrels arent meant for shooting steel.

Go with the SP-10 for the xtra bucks you will be droppoing decades from the age of the gun.

The Ithaca Mag-10 is a gas-operated, semi-automatic shotgun chambered in 10-gauge (3½"). It was produced until 1989, at which point Remington Arms bought the design and used it as the basis for the Remington Model SP-10.

A variant featuring a shorter, 21" barrel was created called the Roadblocker. The model was marketed to the law enforcement market, but met with little commercial success.

just my .02

good luck, im jealous, i want either also!

·
Registered
331 Posts
As a goose hunter, let me weigh in on this one.. having owned 3 different 10 ga models (BPS stalker model, browning Gold lite 10, Ithaca mag-10) I cannot speak of the sp-10 as I have not had the pleasure of using/owning one.. I am using the MAGTEN, as my current goose weapon of choice.. I bought it from the previous owner with screw-in carlsons chokes already installed.. bought it for $550. yes, that is right, not a typo.. he used it mainly to shoot coyotes with on his farm...now if you want to save some cake.. be patient and wait for one to pop up for sale around $500-$600 used.. that is what I did... you can find the deals out there you just have to be patient.. saw a used sp-10 at cabela's last week for $599.. not a camo model but still a good price.. deals are out there like i said.. you just have to look... Now if I was in your shoes, I would save up the scratch for another year and get a browning gold LITE ten..that is THEE cadillac of all 10 gauge autoloaders!!!..it has the aluminum receiver, shaves off a few ounces .. you can also use magazine extensions on the brownings for the pesky CO snow goose hunts.. although I have never touched off a fully loaded, extended magazine, 10 gauge autoloader! can't imagine how fun that would be.!! that could be an advantage over the sp10/ithaca magten.. those you cannot extend the magazines..

if you are on a budget than get a used magten for a decent price.. order a wolff extra power spring pak..($40 upgrade).. change out the old tired springs in your Ithaca (like I did) to eliminate any jams due to weak springs.. The action will be as new or better than new.. she will be just like a new girlfriend , crisp, snappy and fresh.. and probably half the price of a new sp-10.. if you really want to get deep into the magten, then you can always get a sp-10 barrel upgrade for her, with factory screw-in chokes.. p.m. me and I will give you details on how to go about doing the change..

I know several other hunters that have done the swap.. many on here will tell you that the swap is not possible.. I know because I approached several gunsmiths, they said it could not be done.. not true .. I know it can be done.. you will have a sweet handling magten with better patterns as well...the magten has legendary power, and a lot of loyal users..I shot my first ever triple on geese with the magten.. last season.. if that tells you anything.. that is my sage and i am sticking to it...hope this helps..

·
Registered
208 Posts
All I can tell you is that in 20+ years of shooting my Mag-10 I have never once had to replace any part nor have I ever taken it apart to clean it and it's never once misfired or been finicky. All I do is spray the chit out of it with WD-40 after each hunt and I have been good to go all these years, and that's no B.S.. I have the 32" full choke and I shoot "T" shot from Sporting Arms in Michigan. I wouldnt trade that gun even if you were offering me a Purdy.................. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
NO but me and my magnum had a good morning today. Started off slow but about 09:30 it really started to snow hard and within the next 10 minutes the birds started to fly. I had my Avalanche silly's out and the birds worked well. I took my time and over the next 40 min or so I limited out on 3 nice big honkers. A great day to be out........................... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes sad but true. I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. That plus the fact that I'm not too sure I could get it back together again if I took it apart. Gunsmithing is not my forte'...... :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay mikebig1, I went on line and Google d for the replacement springs at Wolff. A combination pack extra power spring pack, includes a recoil spring, hammer spring, and magazine spring; for $21.99 plus shipping. Any other things I need to know about the Ithaca Mag 10? I appreciate the information. As far as Gooseasauruses are concerned...I like to kill my birds outright...not wound them, and then my Lab have to get into a fist fight with them when he goes out and tries to retrieve them. I am tired of guys using under "gunned" firearms and ammo and just wounding birds. These majestic animals deserve better from us!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
jj4two said:
......As far as Gooseasauruses are concerned...I like to kill my birds outright...not wound them, and then my Lab have to get into a fist fight with them when he goes out and tries to retrieve them. I am tired of guys using under "gunned" firearms and ammo and just wounding birds. These majestic animals deserve better from us!!
Very well said.

·
Registered
331 Posts
jj... I ordered mine thru the bpi catalog..so I paid a little more thru the catalog and money order than ordering on line.. lot of good stuff there for the mag-10 .. reloading supplies and info regarding load data for the ten gauge.. the other weak spot on the mag-10 from what I have heard..(and this has not happened to me).. but, the buffer on the rear of the bolt will wear out.. it is hard plastic, and takes a beating but make sure and check the buffer on the one you get to make sure it is not worn-out.. I have heard of guys replacing them with a homemade teflon buffer...if it wears out it will cause cycling problems as well as weak bolt spring.. that is all I can add, let me know if you get a mag-10.. I can walk you thru the process of complete disassembly, and reassembly..if you need help...that goes for you too don :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I may take you up on that Mike. All I have are some really old guns and when you take them apart it's not like taking apart a modern firearm. For example I took my Savage Mod 30"C" circa 1970 apart and when I took oput the trigger assy a spring shot out and the mechanism basically came apart in my hands. I had a HECK of a time getting it back together so Im leary of taking the Mag-10 apart for the same reason. But if you can provide info that would be great, because as I said "I ain't no gunsmith" Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
GregB said:
jj4two said:
......As far as Gooseasauruses are concerned...I like to kill my birds outright...not wound them, and then my Lab have to get into a fist fight with them when he goes out and tries to retrieve them. I am tired of guys using under "gunned" firearms and ammo and just wounding birds. These majestic animals deserve better from us!!
Very well said.
Just what is your "impression" of being under-gunned?! If you're hitting the birds in the head/neck or in the vitals inside the killing range of the loads you're using, then your dog shouldn't have to chase down cripples in the first place! A bigger gauge gun is no excuse for poor shooting. :roll: I kill my "Gooseasauruses" pretty darn DEAD with my 12 gauge "pop" guns and a 1 1/4 ounce load of Expert 1's with regularity. I have had MAYBE enough cripples in the last 5 years to count on one hand and that's with about 400 rounds of ammo being fired in the field. The gun has absolutely NOTHING to do with the killing part. Sure the "big tens" are nice guns and will generally pattern a bit better than the 12's with the equivilant weight loads but ...not by much, especially if the shooter has taken the time to actually pattern his gun/load/choke combo! It is the shot you put into the bird that does the killing. Put up a decent pattern and shoot at the bird withing the killing envelope of the shot you're throwing up and as long as you can hit what you're aiming at, you should end up with a dead goose on the ground. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I ain't no gunsmith either don.. it took me a few times and I struggled with it until I finally figured it out.. I just tore down my magten again tonite after a goose hunt on sunday... even though I never pulled the trigger.. (got skunked as usual)...my hunting partner shot one goose.. so it was not a total skunk.. anyway, it is pretty basic.. take off the the forearm nut.. then you can slide off the forearm.. you will see a round nut with approx four holes/indents in the nut.. (this I am assuming takes some kind of special factory spanner wrench).. I take it off with a pair of channel locks or wide mouth pliers..there is also a collet washer with it. this holds the barrel on. remove washer and nut.. open action on gun manually.. then remove barrel, ( it might need some persuasion..so pull hard!..especially if you got a dirty gas piston.. once the barrel is off then you can take off the gas piston assembly. it has two parts put don't take it apart unless it is really dirty.. this is a critical step to remember when reinstalling the barrel/gas piston assembly it is important to line up pin on the barrel collar with the hole on the correct hole on the piston assembly..there is two holes, one for the gas to run the action. and the other to hold the barrel on .. if not assembled right your gun will not work..

back to dis-assembly.. taking off the gas piston, you can now take off the magazine tube collar.. it just slides off .. it has two actuator pins on it.. set this aside, for cleaning. it is a one piece unit..push in your action release button, holding bolt handle and slide your bolt assembly back to forward position.... now take off trigger assembly, by using a correct size pin punch, (or small screwdriver).. pop out the two pins holding trigger assembly in receiver, drop out trigger assembly.. now you have a field stripped magten.. now you have access to the bolt spring and magazine spring assemblies.. magazine spring is self explanatory as it comes out with a correct size allen wrench.. release the allen screw holding the magazine spring follower and you will have access to the spring.. now comes the learning curve part.. to gain access to the bolt spring you must pull the bolt handle out of the bolt.. to do this, raise the silver (bolt collar) above the bolt carrier, and pull out the bolt handle. there is a tab on the bolt handle, and it must clear the bolt collar to come out... pull hard if it is stuck, due to dirt buildup, but should come out quite easily.. now you can get to the bolt spring, by pushing the bolt carrier assembly all the way to the back of the receiver..until it clears the carrier slide channels in the receiver.. ( YOU MUST APPLY CONSTANT PRESSURE!) Do NOT let this part slide forward as it will take the hide off your fingers!!... once you have it all the way back, applying constant pressure pull out the bolt carrier thru the trigger assembly opening.. there will be a long rod attached to the bolt carrier... let it slide out carefully, and slowly.. then you will access the bolt spring on the end of the 3 piece bolt spring assembly.. you did it!... now clean everything well and put back together in reverse order... you did keep track of everything didn't you?... if you have a digital camera, take pics of dis-assembly so you have a detailed record of where everything goes... good luck . and if you run into any snags let me know

·
Registered
649 Posts
How do you know which Ithaca 10's (barrels) can't handle steel shot? Is it before a certain model year? I would figure atleast a mod. choke for steel, but I read it's the "barrel" itself that cannot handle it???

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know which barrels can't shoot steel but if it's any help at all I had a box of "F" shot that I ran thru my mag-10 and there isn't the slightest hint of damage. Also I am looking at an old copy of "Waterfowlers World" circa 1986 and there is a picture of a Mag-10 and the article states that it is the ultimate gun for steel shot. In case you guys are too young to remember 1987 was the first year for steel shot so they must have made it "steel ready", at least that's how I read it. Oh yea the cover of that Waterfowlers World has a very neat picture of Teddy Roosevelt and about 8 other guys all with double barrels, standing around for a hero shot at Marling Farms in Maryland..................... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just love my MAG 10! A gun from the past , shooting at the future! ;-)
If your mag 10 is factory threaded choke tubed ,Trulock has some extended tru choke tubes for it if you call them and ask for them ,They are not on their web site list but they do still have some , AWESOME TUBES I have them and the are GREAT!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts