Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been hunting ducks on a private property in Idaho that abuts the river. There are several big private ponds to the North that hold geese and a big horse pasture to the South. Geese have been spending much of the day on the horse pasture. There are two main options to setup, and my goal is to get them to land.

1) Gravel bar. There is a big exposed gravel bar on the Northwest corner of the property. I've seen a lot of geese flying over this, presumably leaving the ponds and traveling South. Some fly relatively low, and I've been able to shoot a few low flyers from that spot. I have not seen geese using the gravel bar, so I'm not sure if they'd want to land on it. It's probably 600-900 yards from the horse pasture X. There is good cover to hide in the river shrubs and bushes.

2) Open field. There is a big open, mowed field in the center of the property, approximately 300 yards from the horse pasture X. The owner says he has seen geese use this field, but there is currently no sign. There is a ditch with tall grass on both sides running through the middle of the field. I setup on this today, hiding under a grass blanket in the ditch. I had several flocks fly over and slow down, including one that did a 180 and passed again - but none tried to come in and land. They were flying about 40 yards over and probably within range but I didn't move to shoot, hoping they'd come all the way in.

I have a pretty small spread, 1 dozen canada silos and 1 dozen black and whites (dive bomb). After a bunch of ducks buzzed the spread in the morning I put out a dozen mallard silos off to the side - but most of the ducks had already flown by that time.

Only 2 weeks left of season so I don't want to buy a boatload more decoys. What would you try in this situation for best results?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh the other question I have is - Is there a disadvantage to using the black and whites? Should I just use the 1 dozen V2Fs? The geese are not flying really high as they are on approach to the horse pasture.

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
I'd set up using the ditch like you were....using the b & w's and bombs....maybe try more aggressive calling...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts