Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt on a big pond and sometimes when you shoot a goose (or duck) it will fall in the water. I would walk out in the water, but it's like 10 feet deep right in the spot where they would fall. I have a dog, but I am still training with her :( . I was just going to use a fishing rod with a big lure on the end, but if anybody else has any ideas it would really help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
How bout a small boat or canoe? Throw rocks to make ripples and push it to the shore. Take off your clothes and swin for him :lol: . Lots of ideas.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already thought about the take your clothes off and swim out to get him idea :lol: . When you said a small boat or canoe I thought about using a small raft. Thank you. Anybody else have any other ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I hunt on some of the public ponds that don't allow boats or canoes I used the fishing rod technique or I use a long stick. This seems to work the best for me because I can usually walk out and get close enough to get them with a stick.

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
Golf ball retriever....extends about 20 ft. With a pair of hip waders does the trick for me. Replaced the ball cup with a gaff :shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
A fishing rod and a jitter bug work good. The jitter bug stays afloat and has lots of treble hooks to snag either a duck or goose. Just make sure the bird is dead or you will have a fight on your hands!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another thing to make sure of if you use this idea; bring your fishing license! Especially on big water, in Pa. the Fish & Boat Com. will cheerfully pinch waterfowlers doing this w/o a fishing license. They'll insist that you're fishing; & you have to prove a otherwise. Even if you put a treble hook setup on a lasso - type rope - they'll be watching. :shock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
:idea: Errrr Helicopter.......... :roll:
:idea: Errrr Crane................ :roll:
:idea: Errrr Hovercraft......... :roll:
But seriously, if you can't retrieve you should not be shooting. :x :x

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who have replied and to xtrema, I have never had this problem because they almost always fall right next to us stone dead because we are such great shots :lol: :roll: . I will stick with the fishing rod idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
me and my friend have both stripped and swam for them IT SUCKS!!!!

especially in the river were we wade out and get ducks but i have a WIRE HAIRED POINTING GRIFFON that i am training and it retrieves good but i havent done anything in the field or water with it yet because it is still a puppy i was told they are good water retrievers anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well if you dont want to drag a fishing pole with you, you could carry a length of rope with you. I usually have like 20 feet of clothes line coild up and stuffed in my game bag. Its light enough and dose not take up that much room. Tie a stick to it, give it a heave and drag it in.
Good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
How about one of the "belly boats" that fly fisherman use. Or a small dinghy or a tube that you pull behind a ski boat. They're all fairly cheap and can be pumped up in no time.

Whatever you do, DON"T SWIM FOR IT unless you have a wetsuit and lifejacket. The chance of getting hypothermia is way too great. Your life is worth way more than a goose.

·
Registered
443 Posts
How about a fishing rod and one of them large shark type treble hooks. Flatten the barbs and cast over him and set the hook.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have used a fishing pole with a buzz bait before. Use heavey test pond line though because you can break it. (did that once). Having a fishing liscense is a must because honest to god i caught a bass one time trying to hook a dead goose in michigans september season. Talk about something to laugh about. We were rolling on the ground.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Xtrema said:
:idea:
But seriously, if you can't retrieve you should not be shooting. :x :x
And it is against Federal law too. It is called Wanton Waste not to retreive downed birds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts