Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, how many decoys do you guys feel you need before you're satisfied. I have yet to meet a snow goose hunter who claims they have enough, it's always, "I have X amount, but I'm getting more this summer."

Some of my buddies have over 1000 decoys each, when they get together it takes all night so setup. :shock: :lol:

So....what's enough?

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your the only spread in a 5 mile radius.. 500/600 will do...

Otherwise... it's "The most decoy's wins"

You gotta have enough to pull the flocks from a long way away...

Quality counts

Jerr

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I agree with fowl_habit. I only have about 300 (rags, homeade silos, and some shells) and definitely need something more realistic. We can get them to come down and play and take a look but can't finish them the last 75 yds. I plan to buy a lot more realistic stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We ussally put out 500..the more the merrier....i got 400 deks mostly rags....not expensive and they last for years...if your careful...sucessful snowgoose hunting depends on how many deks you have out and if the geese wanna be there...and if they don't...well then..you have a few hours pickup of decoys.......which ussally means some are going to lock up wile your picking up always happens to me...lol......and i put my most realstic deks down wind...in the incomming zone....and then some with ther heads up along the edges....with my rags.....Honkers41

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
We started out with about 300 and have worked up to 1000. More is better. When they are looking for a place to feed and they have the choice between 300 on the field and 5000 real geese sitting in a field a quarter mile away, they will choose the 5000. An ecaller is a major plus if you can use one where you hunt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well..when it comes to snows.....enough deks are when your tired of putting them out....we've used 200 and brought them in....but the bigger flocks seem to decoy well....when you have over 500 or so...so we're putting close to 1,000 out this year....if i can get the guys to help.......lol.....Honkers...

·
Registered
26 Posts
IM 22 AND FOM LAMAR COLORADO I'VE BEEN GOING HUNTING SINCE I WAS 6. SNOW GEESE HAVE GOT TO BE THE MOST DIFFUCULT BIRD TO DECOY THE 2 KEYS TO HUNTING THEM IS LOCATION AND WEATHER, I HAVE 300 RAGS 6 DOZEN CARRYLITE SHELLS, 4 DOZEN CARRYLITE ECONO SHELLS, 3 DOZEN FULL BODIES, AND 250 NORTHWINDS, AND I NEVER GO HOME EMPTY HANDED

1 - 8 of 8 Posts