Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to goose hunting and would like some help on flagging. When do you flag and how long do you flag? Some paople are saying flag untill they hit the ground and other say just to get their attention. And what kind is a good make to purchase.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I flared some birds last year at 100 yards with flagging (late season smart birds). I think as the season goes on it will just be an attention getter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
first geese arent dumb and in the air the can see everything think about this if your flying to a spread and a black thing that doesnt even resemble a goose starts flapping your going to head in the other direction a flag should ony be used on geese as an attention getter no closer than 175 yards or on flaring birds to get them to come around and take another look and FLAGMAN makes good products but the best gooseview.com there flags look just like a goose on a stick

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with mallard. Different days the gesse want different things. Same as calling. You got to find what they want.
I have flagged geese all the way to the ground. Now I dont flag when they are over the top. Works best as a attention getter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If they are on their last pass and they are not going to be in shooting range then flip the flag just a couple of times. This may turn them right over you. But the operative word here is IF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At the end of last year we were having to flag geese clear down till they almost landed or they would flare, but earlier in the season if you got them within 200yrds and were still flagging they would flare. So i think it is more or less you got to flag more later in the season, and just get there attention early. I also have some really old shells that are 48" long that my dad and uncle bought back in '75 and we lay under them with the flag to the side of them, so it helps resemble there wings a lot better. Think this might help us a little more with laying under the shell and flagging.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys. I thought I'd chime in on this one. This is what I TRY to do.

When I first see the geese I begin flagging until I'm sure they have seen me and they are on line to me, then I stop. If they start to slide off I "twitch" or flap the flag 3 or 4 times to re-focus the birds. I will do this , if need be, until they are in my face, feet down. The key is to show it to them and then take it away. Make them hunt you. If I'm with my buddies we will spread out with 2 flags, mabey 10 to 15 feet or so apart depending on size of spread. This way if they slide left, the guy on the right will twitch his flag. If they slide right, the guy on the left will twitch his. This will not always work, but it works alot for me. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Good luck,
Gunny

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use mine when the geese are in the distance to get there attention and then if they come in I quit until then want to leave and when they are flying away I flad as so the can catch a glimpse of the movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts