Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you learn to call for geese and ducks? Are there any good videos out there that really help? I bought one video and it sucked, so I went to a lake near by and just listened to the geese/ducks as they landed and flew by. Happy Hunting

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree Hnker talk is the best video out there. Your idea of going to the lake is a good one, take along a tape player and tape them and then tape yourself also so you know what you sound like. you might want to try a flute in the begining and then move on to a single reed later over the summer to be ready for next year-practice,practice practice. JIM

·
Registered
605 Posts
I learned duck calling from my Dad over 30 years ago.
As for Honker calling---listened to others, watching videos a big help there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am not the best caller but for me starting out with the basic honk with a cheap call and then moving up to shortreed calls helped me. videos didnt help me that much because they are so good i cant think on the same page as them. PRACTICE! have fun!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had to do things the hard way,I started out on a single reed.I went out for a whole summer and listend to them and learned to imitate them.After you get started out though I have discoverd that you do get what you pay for in a call,but you have to get the basics before you do anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:lol: Just listen to live geese as often as you can! practice as often as you can and the rest will come in time!! As far as videos go I feel that the best ones are honker talk ancient art of paralyzing talk the talk and a cd put out by dave smith out of north plains oregon he blows for bill saunders hes pretty good !! If your making the transition from a flute to a short reed I suggest the Zink SR-1 its an awesome call and pretty easy to learn on!!! If you need any pointers or just someone to listen and critique your sounds just e-mail and I'll get in touch with you and help where ever I can!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We had nobody to teach us how to hunt, so we went to the marsh and listened to how the birds sounded then tried to mimic them. I have killed a lot of ducks with absolutely no calling at all though.

Still trying to figure out the snow geese. I just try to make a lot of noise that sounds like multiple geese. You never get to here just one or two, so it is hard to differentiate between their calls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.