Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what you use to make your own goose decoys out of? If you just want to share how you make them and what paint you use. I myself do make decoys. Seeing the prices at hunting store just makes my wallet scream, so I started making my own decoys. And I must say they came out pretty good, I mean they bring in geese and that all that matters, right. Well this is what I did. I went to Home Depot and bought some ¼ inch thin Styrofoam for $20. I'm not really sure what the Styrofoam was called but it looked just like a tack board or a science fair board. But the sheet was 40" by 60". Now for me I like to build the biggest geese, because when geese are flying by way off in the distance they cant see cheep little decoys. But they can see my big decoys, which gives the geese more time to get low and come into my decoys. And the time they realize that they're a little big to be geese there dead. Well back to my decoys. I went home and outlined a goose body with a pencil. Like a silhouette from the store. Than I grabbed my power saw and made 9 large goose decoys in about an hour. I than used a brown primer that I got custom done for me at Home Depot, (which they will do for you for free), and painted the decoys. After both sides have dried I used a flat black spray paint to do the neck and the tail with a little touch up in the body section. Than I used a flat white spray paint and painted the chest and tail. I cut out a little piece of a cardboard so I could paint the little white strip on the neck while the rest of the cardboard cover the neck so the white paint wouldn't get on it. Than I cut up some old coat hangers to make little 12inch rods and painted them black, than I drilled 2 holes in the decoys side by side. Then when I go hunting I stick the little 12inch rod into the ground. Than rest the decoy up to it and stick a twist tie through one hole and around the little rod than back through the other hole than tied it off. And that its. Make sure not to use too much paint because the sun will reflect light, but if you use a flat or none shine paint you should be fine. These decoys do work great, and are the size of a magnum decoys while coasting about 5 times less ($3.50 per decoy). Hope this helps and good hunting. If you have any questions, email me and all send you some pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can save you a ton of money on your decoys. The next time there is a local election call the GOP or the DNC or the candidate themselfs and ask to recycle the signs they put out. They are made of corigated plastic just like store bought silos. I am talking the 4x8 big signs. Get all you can you wont be sorry. then the small cardboard wire signs with the upsidedown u shaped wire get those as well they are perfect for you stakes then get out your roto zip or jig saw and go to town. as far as paint go to a good paint store and ask for a primer that will stick to plastic. brown or black and use it as your base coat I found a 3" roller works best for me. Good Luck :idea:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I save a pile of money buy making my own tire decoys. They might be hard to make but in the end it all pays off. Tire decoys work just as good as big feet or reel geese.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cut the tire in half. Like a doughnut lieing on it s side, slice across. Then turn it inside out so that the inside of tire is facing out. Add a little white on each side for the rump area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts