Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, This year was the first year that my hunting partner and I swiched to the high velocity (1500 +) steel shot. For Mallards, Gadwall, and the like we shot #2 shot steel. For Specks and Cans we tried BB Steel.
I am just curious what you guys that have tried the fast stuff think. To be honest I was not that impresed. Our season is over, but at the end I found myself switching back to regular old BB at 1350 for Mallards and T at 1350 for the Honkers. Mabey it is just a head thing, but I guess I am not super convinced of smaller shot pushed at 200 fps faster is better than bigger shot at 200 fps slower. I know that the Speed Kills thinking is very popular right now but I just wanted to know what you all thought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like the high velocity Kent steel shot (1560 fps in 12 g 3" BB). It does the job beautifully, knocking Cans down with one shot per bird.

No complaints here, and for the price, it's also hard to beat $9.99 per box of 25 at Cabela's.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's my deal as I understand it. :? If you're shooting BB at ducks and T at geese, what choke are you using? I'd guess a pretty open tube, like Mod./Imp. Cylinder? I thought harder than lead steel BB didn'tlike to go through a tight choke when the BB's in the shell are large, like BB, BBB, etc.

Now, my gun runs a .655 restriction tube (extra full 8) ), those large BB's in the shell always throw a "blown" pattern due to the fact above, Big BB's don't like to travel through a tight area togehter. It's like trying to pour sand through a funnel when compared to pouring marbles down the funnel, the marbles bind. :shock: I moved down to a 3" #4 High Velocity shell, cause that's the best patterning shell I've tested in my smaller BB pattern tests. I've tried every make and model of shell, every different bb size in the 3" and 3 1/2" and I always get the best pattern with this set-up. Higher speed is gonna help those small #4's kill a little better. :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have to say you stumped me on the constriction of my choke in inches. But I can tell you what choke I use with the large steel pellets.
I have had the best luck with a Lead Modified/ Steel Full Invector choke in my BPS 10. I have patterned my 1350 loads with BB BBB and T and I can say I dont have the "Blown pattern" problem that you mention.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, I just know what the package of my tube tells me, everything else I read in a book.

I guess you use common sense and use whatever works, just like any other ethical hunter out there. :wink: Could you imagine just going to the marsh not knowing how your gun shoots though?? That'd be crappy. :(

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I switched to Kents this year from Winchester, although I do still use Win. shells sometime. I can say that speed does kill. As velocity increases, energy compounds and that is what kills. I have had very few this year that did not crumple up and drop. If you do some research on it (and not just taking some fellow hunter's word on it) you will find that the faster the load, shotguns or rifle, the more knock-down power that load posesses. BTW I am using 2's for ducks, BB or BBB for geese through factory IC, M, and Briley "goose" IM chokes. Just got my Terror .700 and .675 chokes today and will report how they do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can you let us know how that .675 throws the loads?? I am debaiting on getting one for ducks, man I love my .655 though, like it better than my patternmasters, and a lot cheaper too!!!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I won't be able to take off work this week, it gets pretty busy at the end of the year for us, but will use it this weekend and let you know. For what they cost, they better work!

#1, what gun do you shoot? I have a guy looking for a used Patternmaster if you end up wanting to sell it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got rid of my Super x2 already, let the tube go with that, and I have one for a Beretta Extrema.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts