Goose Hunting Forum banner

Goose shells

11K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  vah20fowler 
G
#1 ·
What due you old boys out there think the best shells for geese are these days. I shoot T shot for all my goose hunts. I here Hevi-Shot is the stuff to use today. Just think its a little over rated. T shot has killed many geese over the years. Just would like to see some differnt views on this subject 8)

#2 ·
I have yet to try the Hevi shot for it is not yet available to use up here in Canada. I use both BBB and T shot for my hunting. The first two shots with the BBB and the last shot T for the birds have flared and are ascending. I know that this may be odd for some but it works for me. :lol: Good Hunting.

G
#3 ·
I hunt in Alberta and use heavy shot. There are an excellent shell. Recently they have a camo shell includes the brass. Works for me less time looking for spent brass until after the shoot.

#9 ·
This may sound a bit elementary, but if you don't pattern your gun with different loads you're missing the boat in my opinion. In the off season, do some tests of shooting the load into a 3 foot circle (use large sheets of paper) at say 35 yards. Different loads will pattern differently out of different guns/barrels. So what works for you may not work well for another.

For an example, I shot BBB for years and when I did my first patterning I was blown away as there was consistently a low pellat count at 35 yards. After testing I found that for my Benelli SBE (28" barrel) the T's had about 25% more pellats in the circle.

Ever since I've done this my shooting has improved (well maybe not the shooting but the cripple rate's gone down). :)

#12 ·
goosecutter said:
if u are shooting hevi-shot u only need 3 inch. it is definetly worth it too. a guy i hunt with uses hevi-shot and he killed a goose at 140 yards this season. if u don't believe me e-mail me and i will give u the guys # so u can ask him. my e-mail is silas_mckinney@hotmail.com.
What??? Did he shoot the whole shell out of a cannon?

Are you sure he didn't say 140 FEET (approx. 46 yds)? Which BTW, is about the distance that most conscientious hunters start to question the shot regardless of their gun or load.

I know, I know, I can write him and ask!

I can't help but wonder....Let's say this is truly some ballistic miracle...What the F*ck was he thinking taking that shot in the first place???? ? Does he have a problem with depth perception or is he just an @sshole that enjoys making true sportsmen look bad ?

I don't care if the bird is wounded and running (get off your @ss and give chase until you reach a legitimate distance at which a safe and humane shot can be taken). There is never a good reason to take such a shot in my book!

Off soapbox!

PS. Don't take this post personally. No offense intended. I do realize it was'nt you who did this and you are just relaying a STORY.

#14 ·
DANG!! Hevi-shot in BB!!! Talk about overkill. The whole point to hevi-shot is that it allows you to go down to a smaller shot size, increasing pellet count and thus (hopefully) chances for a kill. I've even read in more than one place that the 3" shells are really unnecessary.

I'll stick with 2 3/4" in #4 until I find evidence that "bigger is better".

#16 ·
I hunt on the eastern coast of canada and have been for probably 8 years and never yet needed a BBB .if your spread is what the birds want they'll eventually get close enough that a .410 can take them! but seriously i think that a 3 inch BB will play old hell with any bird 35 yards or less and if they won't come in closer then that theres something seriously wrong with blinds or decoys

#17 ·
Hi there guys
For anyone wondering, Graylag goose is the european goose most similar to the White front goose you have in northern america and canada.
I tried out some hevishot 2 3/4 US 4 with my 12 gauge last season and I was astonished. Out to 30-35 yrds a fully grown goose was penetrated.
Like other members in the forum which point out thet the hevishot is denser than lead , hence you can use a size smaller and since its smaller it will give better penetration !
But prices over here in Norway where I live and hunt these birds are way over your imagination - aprox $3 per shell.

#19 ·
Well, we mostly hunt from blinds, either light to carry around type, or permanent blinds in the sone between the resting-areas and feeding areas. The Greylag goose,(anser anser) or just grey goose as we call them is the largest population and they come in thousands here since we are located on a peninsula where the birds rest before flying south in the fall. But the population has been increasing over the last 5-10 yrs and they also nest right outside the coastline on all availible islands. And since we have a very mild climate they stay here allmost all year which in turn gives farmers a huge problem with geese feeding on farmland .That`s why we have our own administrationplan for regulation/managemant of this. And therefore our season is quite long, 1. August - 23. Dec and in adition we also have great canadas which we can hunt troughout February !
One last thing, "Hustad", sounds like a name with connection to Norway since that is a common name out here where I live. You may look at the map of Norway and find Ørland on the Fosen peninsula between the Trondheimfjord and the North Sea.
Hunting season is approaching - just 12 days away !! 8)

#20 ·
Well after seeing some of the other post i really agree with the person that suggest that you pattern your shot gun. Most hunters pattern there turkey guns before turkey, whos to say that a waterfowler shouldnt also. I duck and goose hunt all season and i switch guns back and forth, one day 20,12, and one day 10. The 20ga has a patternmaster choke, and is extremly on at 35yds, and have killed geese with it at 50yds with #2. The 12ga is totally stock remington and #4 shoot geese on the river and field just fine for me. The 10ga is a bad mother@#$%^& and i have shot ducks up to 85 yds away, havent tried it on geese yet. But the point i am trying to make here is, pick the choke you are going to shoot, then spend some time and money to see what shoots better. (bum a shell or 2 from a buddy, or get some buddies together and go buy shells to share and shoot to see what works) A little time and money before had can make your next hunting trip one to remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.