Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it good to use all the same size decoy or can you use different sizes. which one work the best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you'll get all types of responses on this. I guess the real question is, how is a goose's depth perception?

We've done well with all types of decoys and sizes. In my experience as long as it's close to a real goose shape, and with that said the super mags went out the window years ago. :)

G

·
We are trying the new FUDS decoys this year. I will let you know. They look pretty good. You can use them on land or water. About $119 a dozen. Nothing is cheap anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My partners and I use a mix. We look at as the geese are different sizes so are our dekes.

G

·
I mix up mag shells (approx. 33 in long), Big Foots, and some land/water floaters and occasionally throw in some silhouettes. A mix will get 'em--trust me! It has worked for me in the midwest.

G

·
All our goose hunting is done in fields. We use a combination of silhoette's, regular shells, magnum shells, and super mag shells. We tend to keep the super mags around the shooters as they direct the attention away from our blinds and provide a excellent place for coats, thermos, camera, etc... We do keep the same type of decoy together in the same family group though. The shilhouette's are often behind the hunters and landing zone as they offer the least realism for approaching birds. The magnums are placed closest to landing zones as they are much the same size as the giant Canada's we're hoping to decoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont think that the size of the decoys actualy matter, it is how you set them up. If you use the bigger decoys to take the attention off of the hunters then I dont think that it make s adifference what size the decoys are as long as they look like geese.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts