Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to goose hunting. My friend has a spot that is about 1 mile away from a county lake that holds tons of geese once they start moving south. They are everywhere. Anyway, there is a small pond on his property and a lot of open grassland, but no farmland. Last season I set up in the grass but had a real tough time getting geese to come to my spread since I wasn't on feed. They would come take a look but never committ. Any suggestions for this year?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats a tough one man. I would consider floating decoys and try to pull them onto the pond. Another option is to follow them and see where they're going. Geese feed on grain / pea fields in the morning and evening, so they're going somewhere to eat. I'd tail them and figure out where that is. If the landowner will let you on yer set. If not, yer no further ahead then when you started and my idea sucked! :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pretty much know exactly where they feed, right across the road where all the farmland is. My best chance is probably getting them coming off of the fields and heading back to the water. Floaters may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You are kinda in a tough situation. Try floaters, and lots of decoys. Do you have a flag? Flaggin can usually get them to take a closer look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never tried using a flag but will definitely consider it this year. Do you just flap it a few times to get the birds attention then quit?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We have 3 guys flaggin and 2 calling. You really need to see what the birds want. Usually we only flag to get their attention. Sometimes you can flag them right into the decoys. Just depends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts