Goose Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
sweet talker said:
Thats a great way to put it cashman
:) When cashman mentioned the Half Breed call it made me smile a little...it was my first short reed after using a flute for several years.Charlie Hess and Tim Grounds (both call makers at the time) got together one day and did what alot of us still do today....they HYBRIDIZED a call to get a different sound..... :beer: VOILA THE HALF BREED WAS BORN :beer: .Hess had been a call maker many years before Grounds started making calls and both shared a curiosity which endures for Grounds EVEN to this day.Many of us who enjoy calling to geese(regardless of how many calls we have or how much we pay for them), WONDER ...what will the call sound like if I put a brand A gut with a brand B reed inside of a brand C insert and a brand D barrel. :stirpot: When we do that SOMETIMES we are able to make a poor sounding call seem better to our ear (and maybe better to the real birds` ear too).Sometimes we even make a great"MEAT"call (the Half Breed)sound better with newly purchased guts that were not originally intended for use in that call(TC guts in an old Half Breed) :goodtimes: QUESTION? Do you suppose that after reading this thread Tim will replace the gut system in the Half Breed DHAMFIR with TC guts and come out with a new Half Breed model next year...hmmmmm :roll: .It is this kind of experimentation this keeps so many call makers in business and so many of us ADDICTED to buying calls :lol: .For ME ,it has given me the same pleasure and satisfaction as catching a trout on a fly design I created or landing a duck in a decoy spread I carved and painted 8) ....WHAT IT COST ME TO DO THESE THINGS DOESN`T MATTER...the enjoyment I gained WHILE DOING all these things...DOES MATTER TO ME :thumbsup: .

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Doesn't the Dhampir already have the TC guts as stock? Could be wrong but I'm about 99.9999999% sure I'm not.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
DSM16428 said:
Doesn't the Dhampir already have the TC guts as stock? Could be wrong but I'm about 99.9999999% sure I'm not.
I recently learned that the dhampir is slightly longer and has some different internal demensions than a normal half breed. But it does have tc guts. I think Monty up here was pokin' on Tim's propensity to tweak a call, slap a new name on her and sell it as all new :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
So many emodicaons...tends to throw a guy off you know? :rolling:

·
Registered
574 Posts
cashman said:
DSM16428 said:
I recently learned that the dhampir is slightly longer and has some different internal demensions than a normal half breed. But it does have tc guts. I think Monty up here was pokin' on Tim's propensity to tweak a call, slap a new name on her and sell it as all new :lol:
:) YUP!! :stirpot: :banana:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm new to calling and was wondering what you guys think of these calls...
RNT Goozilla, Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II, and Primos Honky Tonk. THese are the three short reeds ive bought, and I saw them on the list and was wondering if anyone had any preference one over another or what quirks they have. Im having trouble getting a good low end note out of all three of them.. but then again i may be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
fisherhunter460 said:
Goozilla and Canada Hammer II over the Honky Tonk any day of the week.
I havent been able to get a good low end out of either one, am i doing something wrong? I cant get feeding chuckles out of them

·
Registered
869 Posts
Up here a large selection of goose calls is hard to find. The two main stores in Saskatoon have about 5 differant brands of goose calls. I use a primos honky tonk and I like it. It probably doesn't sound exactly like a goose, but it gets the job done which is all that matters in the end.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
VAgooser said:
fisherhunter460 said:
Goozilla and Canada Hammer II over the Honky Tonk any day of the week.
I havent been able to get a good low end out of either one, am i doing something wrong? I cant get feeding chuckles out of them
Feeding chuckles? A murmur shouldn't be too hard on any of those calls, in fact it might be the only sound that honkytonk will make that half resembles a goose :lol: sorry, couldn't help it...

·
Registered
95 Posts
oh murmurs sounds better lol. uh I havent been able to get a good low note. does the murmur have to be a very low note or can a higher pitch work as well?

the honky tonk is weird sounding though, of the three so far it is the least favorite of mine.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Va...get you a copy of Bad Grammer, will tell ya & show ya what all you will need to know! Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I'm late to the party but awesome list man!

In my opinion though, I don't know why the Zink PC-1 is on there. It does not sound at all "goosy" to me. It's too high pitched.

Has anyone ever actually killed a goose with one of those?

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
ClemsonPK said:
I know I'm late to the party but awesome list man!

In my opinion though, I don't know why the Zink PC-1 is on there. It does not sound at all "goosy" to me. It's too high pitched.

Has anyone ever actually killed a goose with one of those?
Seriously? The PC-1 has got to be about the EASIEST goose call to run for a new caller/hunter. I have killed a bunch using one and while I personally don't like them, they work well and run easy...almost too easy for some folks that tend to push too much air into the call and oover break it, causing it to "squawk". It all depends on how a call is tuned in how high/low pitched it is. The guts, while easy running can also be a bit finicky in how they like to be tuned, so if you've messed with it, you likely just need to have it tuned by someone who knows how.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright guys if a guy had to pick one of these calls to learn on which would be the best? I just started hunting geese last winter and I hunt with some guys that have been doing it before I was born. Wasn't allowed to do much calling last year lol.

BTW my second bird ever had hardware I was hooked

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hey guys, I'd like to start making updates to the list. Shoot me some PM's for calls that aren't already there or a few that may need to be removed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
fisherhunter460 said:
Hey guys, I'd like to start making updates to the list. Shoot me some PM's for calls that aren't already there or a few that may need to be removed.
:)ADD ... Molt Gear EX3D (delrin)...$49.99 :stirpot: ???

41 - 60 of 86 Posts