Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here tried using ghillie suits for waterfowl hunting? Any comments about using this type of camo would be interesting....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I guess if you didn't have a blind, a ghillie suit would work just fine if you were laying out in the open.

After laying out in the open on hunts during 12 degree winter days, I'm glad I now have an X-Landr.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do quite a bit of stalking for ducks and I was thinking that the ghillie suit might be a good idea....

·
Registered
226 Posts
If your field hunting and don't have a blind, use some hay or corn stalks. It's a lot cheaper. I had great luck this year with a Olive drab mat and hay covering up my lower half and a deek on my chest for the top. I agree with the blind deal though. I'm saving my sheckles for one. It did get very cold out there this year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heres my 2 cents:

Ghillie suits are the ultimate in camoflauge. Not only do they break-up the human outline, but they provide 3D camo allowing the user to virtually disappear into their surroundings. However like any tool availiable to today's hunters they have their uses.

I feel ghillie suits are better for situations where you do not have to move about too much. They are ideal for turkey,deer, or bear hunting. They would also come into play for waterfowl if you want to set up someplace where you don't want to build a blind or you feel a blind would look out of place.

Since these suits are made up of many stips of material, and it can be a hassle if you are doing a lot of walking in thick brush. They may also be too warm for early season hunting if you are doing much walking.

In my opinion if you are looking to improve your waterfowl hunting you can:

1. Invest in conventional 2D camo that blends in with YOUR hunting surroundings. An expensive camoflauge outfit isn't worth a dime if you don't blend in! ie. You wouldn't wear snow camo if you were hunting in the desert!

2. Work on your stalking skills. Its usually the noise that scares the birds, not the camo pattern.

3. learn to call/use decoys. That way you have a better chance at getting the birds to land where are set up and you won't have to stalk 'em!

These are just my thoughts. I am not trying to discourage you from getting a ghillie suit. They're great! I just feel that they have their uses, and stalking waterfowl isn't one of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd say go for it. I'm in the process of making one, I am using a aviator suit, camo burlap and hot glue. I used one last spring for turkey hunting. Same methods exept they were BDU's. I crawled over and down a hill where I saw turkeys, Two of them came right to me. I had to take the back turkey that was 25 yards away because the first turkey was only 15 feet from me and closing, if I did not fire,he would have walked right on top of me.

If you want the best suit, make it yourself and spend a lot of time on it. I only got both legs up to the knees on mine done and that's about a month's work( about an hour a day here and there) I would strongly suggest not buying one from a store. Then it takes the whole "I made that myself and it works" theme out of the picture. And you can make it how you want. I do lots of jump shooting, I have knee crawled for five minutes resulting in the ducks being decoys, and belly crawled for 2 hours resulting in 3 ducks with 3 shells. When I get a scanner I will post pic's of my finished work. And good luck with yours :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts