Goose Hunting Forum banner

GEESE NOT LANDING IN MY FEILDS ??

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  transamsrule 
#1 ·
I NEED HELP AND ANY IDEALS ON HOW TO GET THEM TO LAND IN MY FEILDS, THEY ALWAYS LAND IN OTHER FEILDS BUT NOT MINE, MY FEILDS ARE VERY LARGE AND HAVE HAD CORN THE PAST THREE YEARS, AND IS IT TOO EARLY TO HUNT IN THE EVENING OR JUST HUNT THE MORNING FOR NOW? WE HAVE HAD LITTLE SUCESS GETTING THEM TO LAND IN MY FEILDS BUT WE HAVE DONE IT! GETTING JUST A FEW LAST YEAR, I AM ONLY A BEGINNER AT THIS AND LOVE IT, SO PLEASE HELP!!!

STEVE.......

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's, We have 9 dozen shell and we were trying to flag them in just about everytime, we did have some luck getting a few to come within gun range and we did manage to get 1 on a couple differant accasions, so we are getting better, and man is it fun, we are die hard deer hunters that want to continue our hunting season, gun season ends rite when goose season starts, we all have made the initial investment in buying avery blinds so we are covered or hidden well, ( at least I am) dont know if anyone is moving or looking around causing to spook the birds ? the feilds are in the fly zone of the birds and I know they can see our setup, I just want some more advise on what to do to draw them in more easily, what type of setup is best ??? :?: Should we set the set up like a horse shoe or does the circle work best, any advise would be great, :p Should just one person call or more than one person call ? thanks again....... Steve......

#5 ·
First, is your field you are hunting between the roost and the field they are landing in? Try to get between those (in their flight path). Second, are you blinds camod to match the field you are hunting? Get them to blend in. Third, try putting your decoys in an X pattern, make family groups and spread the groups out between them. This will give the birds plenty of spaces for landing areas. Fourth, sometimes I find that one person calling is best, listen to the flock when they answer you. Sometimes it is only one honking back, so I like to talk to that goose. If alot are honking when coming in, more calers calling. Sometimes they get call shy and it is best to call very little, just enought to keep them coming in and no more.

Hope this has helped you out a little SIRAPALOT :D

waterfowler4

#7 ·
I am in western Maryland. My buddy and I set up on a new field today that we know they fly over. D@mn birds fly right to a no hunting pond and field. 200 birds flew over us at 60 yards high, looked at us and listen to us calling and kept right on going.

#8 ·
Hey archeryrob I noticed you said you live in sharpsburg, man I'm rite down the street in keedysville, maybe we can hook and hunt together if ya got a spot to go around town, I have a spot in MT Airy and birds are always flying over but being a beginner its hard to get the birds to land, So reply and we can hook up, my msn instant messanger is sircapalot@hotmail.com, give me a shot bud lets give it a try....

thanks ..... Steve....

#9 ·
Have the Geese been in the field at all when you are not? Some of you may think this is dumb but I have seen Geese not come in a cut corn field if the stalks cut too high. We had a farmers cut corn lot that they would not come in because he cut the stalks too high. They would go to every other field around.

#10 ·
Thats very true the stalks are cut a lil high and the birds seem to be going to the other feilds, but they never land in these feilds, unless we draw them to it, we have managed to do so more than a few occasions using decoys ofcourse, I think that one of my hunting buds is poping his head out and watching them while there in flight and showing them his eyes and face, keeping the birds from landing, he is newer to this than I am and I keep telling him not to do that, then I ask him to put stalks of corn on his blind because the straps are made for that purpose and he replyed by saying his blind was camoflouged enough and it wouldnt matter, well I am done hunting with him atleast as far as goose hunting is concerned... I will try again this weekend with only myself and one other to see what kind of damage we can do !!!!!!!

#11 ·
Steve,

You got to scout those geese out. See where they are going and landing. They will do the same thing day in and out mostly. My buddy and I set up on a hay field they fly over every day and they would not even look or think about landing as they had a plan on where they were heading. A pond where the farmer has a pond and not letting anyone hunt he does not know and it looks like everyone he knows is not hunting them.

Imaging that.

#12 ·
Any movement or wrong camo will scare geese(mostly movement). I was out there with my Dad this past week. I had a blind with stubble straps and he didn't. I put corn stalks all over my blind and my dad just laid under the burlap. They weren't landing, so he just put more stalks on top of him every time there wasn't any birds close and sure enough, after he was covered in stalks, a group of 15 came right down on us. Later, a single almost landed on him. :lol: He would also lay really still and not move at all. He wouldn't know where the birds where when I said to shoot because he didn't want to move his head and scare them.

#14 ·
SIRCAPALOT I have a similar problem as you and hunt very cloe to you (just south in Damascus) we aren't directly inline with the geese that rise from Rattlewood each morning and head for the feilds but I see them, I have gotten a few to land in my field in the past (mostly lost singles) but lately they are flyinf in a beeline directly out to their familiar fields...unfortunatly we dodn't have the ability to plant any corn so we just have grass....anyone have any ideas on attracting geese that see and hear us but we don't have much to offer them.

note: we use both the X patern and family group,s vary between 1-3 callers, and spread several dozen gesse........

#22 ·
One other thing, I have hunted in a field with 18 stuffed mounted standing geese (which looks as real as you can get) across from 300 tire goose decoys and have had birds come up a valley an turn toward us every time. The more life like your setup is the better off you are. More is not always better.

Ithaca MagTen

#23 ·
When I first started out goose hunting we were getting geese in with no problem but the last two years have we have been having a problem with getting geese into our decoys, they would look at it and then turn away we are not sure what is wrong we use a U shape to bring the geese in and that is the only shape that we use. please let me know on what I should do for the next hunt.

#25 ·
Everyone that i'm talking to is having trouble finishing geese right now.We hunted a farm today that always produced a limited, but not today.
Diffinitly go with a flag,Today we turned all the groups we've decoyed with flags and finished them with very light very realilistic calling .There was hardly any wind this morning.The height of the stupple should'nt matter much,I've seen geese land in standing corn at Blackwater NWR. We've got a few farms out your way,give me a pm sometime maybe we can hook up.
Don't give up, keep trying.
GOOD HUNT'N
GEORGE Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.