Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I'm new to this decoy thing, I know to place in U or V shape into the wind. How apart between the U or V. I'm going out this weekend with 3 dozen dekes but I don't have a clue on distance apart.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chet, with 3 dzn I would keep your shape a loose u for a landing zone and remember to break them up into smaller family gropus of various sizes. Another thing I like to do is know roughly how far the farthest point of my spread is from my shooting area, that way I can tell when the birds are in the "zone of death" Good luck and remeber "shoot em in the lips"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help on my question, but I have another?? Do you sit among your dekes or just off the spread? I don't have a blind yet, so I would think you would sit among the dekes? Any thoughts from anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chet, Don't know if TX hunting is diff than in SD, but I have experienced flocks coming into my spread & then splitting in half, around it. Probably due to a less-than-perfect placement, but I have used this to my advantage. I sit about 30 yds off to the edge, camo'd up, and have had some pretty good results. This also works when the birds are real wary, where they fly low around the spread while deciding what to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with downwind, in the past I have had better luck sitting in outter
places of my spread and shot more late season geese when they are wary, but it just depends on how the geese are acting on a particular day. Don't be afraid to move your set up around a bit as conditions change throughout the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts