Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 16 years old and need to get a better call. I saw the good price of this Echo Polycarb Short Reed goose call and was wondering if it was easy to use or if it sounded good. If anyone could tell me about this call or any other cheaper but good sounding call, I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't blown the Echo, but I have a few inexpensive calls that I really like. The Winglock Whisperer (walnut - $45) is an awesome call, but lower in volume, the Winglock Short Reed (walnut - $35) which has more volume than the Whisperer, and the Buck Gardner Cananda Hammer II ($20) which IMO is as good as a lot of high dollar calls... it is a steal at that price. While a lot of the good calls cost are pretty pricey, I know you cannot go wrong with the three I mentioned and they won't break you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the help, greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doing more research and thought, I saw Hayes Acrylic Short Reed Goose calls for $60 (Buy It Now). People that I've talked to told me to buy a short reed acrylic, but has anyone used this call? I think Hayes is different from Haydel's....Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
The Winglock delrin is my "go to" call...sounds as good as, or better than other calls for twice the money

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the Canada Hammer and it sounds good but I just need practice. It seems like its going to take me a while to find the right pressure to blow into it. I'll prolly upgrade after Chistmas to a Winglock, thanks a lot for the help guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Haye's call and I love it. Can't say I didn't have to practice alot to learn how to blow it. But I got it down and is sound great. Well worth the $60.... Killed alot of geese this year..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bgoldhunter, do you have any preferred choices of which one you think is better between those three brands?

·
Registered
3 Posts
CPAHunter,

I recommend going with the FOILES polycarb. Number one reason is they sound great. But second to that is that they are very easy to blow. I started blowing a short reed when I was 16 and I had a hell of a time getting enough air into the call to make it sound good, let alone make it crack. Depending on how big of a kid you are, I think the Foiles is the best way to go. It was a great transition call for me, but now I'm stuck on them. I went from a below average caller to advanced with the Foiles. I just put my order in for a Meat Grinder yesterday. Can't wait to try it out witness some in your face die-hard honker huntin! Good luck with your decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts