Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go goose hunting, lots of times ducks will fly over me, so I do a duck call and sometime they turn around and come back but they never get close enough for a shot. What I'm wondering is, is it ok to put ok 1 or 2 dozen duck decoys in the field. I know it's natural in water but what about in a cornfield? Will the duck decoys scare the geese away?

G

·
It can't hurt but it doesn't really help. Whether or not they'll even see it is the question.

Just a tip, birds don't highball in the fields so stick to suttle quacks, chuckles and grunts for the call.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like to have both out in the field. but they are not usualy right together in the field I find. I keep the ducks about fifteen to twenty yards apart from the geese.

G

·
Another trick is to put duck decoys on the upwind side fo your goose decoys. Being a little greedy, the ducks always try to get to the food first. Also, if the ducks circle when using the duck call, throw out a few goose clucks, amaising to see how well mallards and pintail respond to a goose call

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ducks will fly over geese, but geese won't fly over ducks, usually. Just remember that when setting out your decoys. Combine your calling between duck and geese, it should do the trick

·
Registered
38 Posts
My experience was that ducks will land in geese, but geese will not land in a duck spread. If you are trying to get some ducks into your goose spread
try and putting a few duck decoys on the edges (upwind side) of your goose spread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same with one or two sand hill crane decoys. place them 35 foot steps away from your spread. can also use them to tell when the geese are within range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts