Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Canadas are back in lesser numbers this year. The drought seems to have made a difference. The north country is still quite warm and there is lots of food so it might be a long and productive season.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
We just got back from the Quill Lakes area. The number of Canadas is lower than I've ever seen in the area. Talked to Resources Officer in Wadena and were told that the Quills were currently holding over 2 million Snows/Blues. There are still some Specks in the area. LOTS of ducks. Of all of the birds we shot over the course of the week there were less than 10% juvies. All most ever flock was made up of older-wiser birds. They can be shot but you've got to do your homework on the setup and the calls. Farmers are still in the field and the crops have very low yeild this year. The cold weather this summer had a lot to do with the hatch and the harvest.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well hopefully our hunt will be successful. We will be west of Quill lakes area. Are there only Canadas hanging out or are there some specs and snows hanging out too. Also, does it look like the farmers will be harvesting anything soon. I will be hunting on the 21st-23rd of Oct. Hopefully it will be good, I can't wait. Thanks for your info. It's nice to hear from someone who was just there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noticed that you said that you were from Alberta, can you tell me how far south the geese have moved. Looking to hunt geese down by Lethbridge. When do you think is the earliest date for hunting down there?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Alexander,
Talked to some of our local friends near the Quills and the snows are moving out and being replaced with Canadas and lots of Mallards. The problem seems to be, from talking with Resources and the local farmers is that the local Canada hatch froze out. Almost no little ones this year. The flocks coming in from the north are also made up mostly of adult birds. Don't get me wrong, there are still Lots of birds in the area and you should have a great shoot. Wish I had more time off. I'd love to hit it again. Let us know how you did when you get back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well it was the hunt of a lifetime. I got back on Sunday (24th) and I couldnt' have asked for a better hunt. We shot our limit of specks each morning and got our limit of cranes another. Killed some snows and a couple blues so all in all it was fantastic. Didn't shoot many canadas. I guess they were farther east than where we were hunting. Still shot lots and lots of birds. I was told that the duck hatch around stewart valley (Where we hunted) was one of the worst in years. We saw very few ducks and only killed three. Overall I think we shot 157 birds in 3 mornings. It was a great hunt. Wish I had a scanner or digital camera so I could post some pics. Anyway it was great time and I'll definatly be back next year.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
You are right with the comment about the Canadas being east. When we crossed into Manitoba it was solid Canadas all the way to Winnipeg.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea, they just weren't around where we were hunting. If we drove east we saw a slight increase in numbers but nothing like all of the specs that we were seeing. We talked to a gun who was just west of Regina and he said that they were even east of there. I don't know why but they weren't in the western part of SK. That's ok, stilled killed TONS of geese. Plus I can kill canadas here at home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts