Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do youll think is the greatest load for shooting geese and strictly geese nothing else

·
Registered
761 Posts
Super shot in #5s is gonna be sweet. Now if we could keep the price down...... :? Right now the load I like is hevi in 2 3/4" #4s. I did try steel #2s on ducks a few years ago and crippled two ducks that were never found. I don't shoot many ducks, so I want to killl the ducks and geese I hit. Hevi all the way now for me. :thumbsup: Only 1 goose last year that went about 100 yards and dropped from the sky. The rest have been stone dead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel for all around decoying to pass shooting the Rem 3" 1 3/8 oz of #2 or # 4 hevi shot is hard to beat .

When the #5 SS is aviable then I may change my mind (After I have patterened and checked to be sure it is penatrating as claimed).

Johnch

·
Registered
117 Posts
winchester dry-lock 3 1/2 BBB
I try to only shot decoying birds. Them BBB are some bone crushers.
I guess the non tox are better hitting if you want to pay for them. Steel works for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
around here geese are darn smart they dont just drop into decoys you gotta work for em' so i think 3 1/2 inch BBB or T is good i dont sky bust or shoot long geese i try for inside 35 or inside yards but i want that knockdown power for that second shot out to 45

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like Winchester xpert High velocity 3" BB. But I also carry a box of #2 for when little duckies fly over and also a box of T shot for the days when the birbs are being stubborn. but mostly 3" BB

·
Registered
30 Posts
1.5oz steel BBBs @1500 fps. Greatest all around load for geese for the money. If your gun will hold the pattern together and you can shoot good, 55-60 yard shots can be made and wont burn a hole in your wallet. If money is no object than right now I would have to say hevishot is the greatest goose load and my preference in shot size would be 2's or bigger. If the new TSS shot gets approved than I would have to say that it would be the best, but I have yet to hear any approvals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
gooosehunter2118
I did try steel #2s on ducks a few years ago and crippled two ducks that were never found.
I thought you were an expert head shooter that shot everything close hmmmmmmm!
Just kidding I couldnt resist.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
For 12ga, I like Kent Fasteels in 1550, in either BB or BBB. In my 10ga this season I plan on using mainly BBB's, but am getting some BB's and maybe a box of T's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pit Boss,

This morning, I used Federal 12ga, 3.5" 1 3/8oz of steel BBs, @ 1550 fps (federal speed shok). The one that I shot at looked like he flew into a brick wall @ about 45-50yds. Folded and dropped!! I loved it!! At $12.99/25 for the ammo, I'm impressed. As good or better than the 3" Hevi-Shot I used last season. Obviously 1 goose doen't make it scientific, but so far, so good. I'll keep doing my "research" for the next 2 weeks during our early season.

SSB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts