Goose Hunting Forum banner

Bering Sea Goose Report

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bering sea skybuster 
#1 ·
After 5 days of rain the geese are bunching up feeding on sand bars & berrys . Fall is in the air on clear days the birds are flying high and in large groups ,good amounts of young geese must have been a good year for nesting.Since around Aug 20 my son has been bringing home 2 geese a day with mixed bag of ducks. I have only hunted twice and shot 2 nice adult cacklers and some teal with the new lanber O&U the little boy shot his first duck & a goose. Tides have been low highs low lows all year low water here but on the Kusko river high water for the moose hunters local open season first in over ten years. I called a order in to BPI and got to talk with Dave Fackler & huge acorns on the Oaks in Minn looks like a hard winter down there & up here thick beaver houses and tall beach grass both signs of long hard winters . The birds seem to be about 10 days early on getting ready to fly south I have seen this 3 years in 25 all have been hard winters & late springs on and few salmon berrys. Duck seem to be in low numbers here and have been reducing each year but seem to be doing well in the states.I ran into USFW crews coming in from data camps and they say geese on the rise in numbers.I my have not be well this fall and the 12 year old bringing home the meat has cheered me up. I would be nice for some other Alaska hunters to join and let us know whats up in other parts of the state as its a big sate.Sea birds have been in rapid decline after the exon oil spill that hurt our birds bad . From the youth board sound like the young ones are having a blast on the east flyway sort of wish I was there for some big honkers we see them less now too mostly lesser cacklers.Good luck to all sounds hot in the midwest and Canada. :thumbsup:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.