Goose Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thinking about getting a new gun just for geese. was wandering what the folks who know more that i do think. 12 gauge supermag, or 10 gauge? any thoughts?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Here we go again. :lol: I will tell you what I think. I think you don't need either. I use a 20 gauge for geese. If you use hevi-shot in #4 for geese in a 12 or 20 gauge, when you hit them, there not going far. I have used #6 for geese in my 20 gauge. The best thing to do is practice. If you are a good enough shot (not me), it shouldn't matter what you are shooting. :wink: Save your money and buy more decoys. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I''ll agree with goosehunter. I shoot a 20 ga and my partner shoots a .410. By decoys and a good call get them i range (no more than 30 yrds) and let them have it. Not saying all hunters with big guns but, some think they can shoot down the moon just because they have a big gun. Last week watched a group of guys set a blind up on a major roost (after they snuck it and shot) they shot at everything that came with in 100yrds. The next day wathed them shoot over 100 times at both ducks and geese mostly geese and killed one duck. This pisses me off. I never knew geese could fly so high and not be migrating. Got together with some of the other hunters in the area and I thought I was mad until I talked to some of them. One group was plotting a propane candle thing and another was wanted to push the blind into the river. I have done my homework and found out who some of these unethical hunters are and understand that one of them wasn't having much luck in his pit so drove up to our area and had the attitude that he didn't care about the birds there once they were gone he would just go back and hunt his pit. Well I'm sorry this got off the subject but, I needed to vent.

Double Clucker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well fella's i certainly appreciate your help. I have to say that I completely understand your frustration double clucker. feel free to vent any time you feel the need. i too would be teed off to say the least. one thing i can't stand is common ignorance. and that's why i'm her3e in this forum asking all kinds of questions. some may even sound like stupid ones, but i'd rather learn here than do something stupid out in the field. although, being a common p--ck isn't really something you learn. it's just how some people are. what comes around goes around. may take time, but it always goes back around. have a good one, and be safe. thanks again1

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have posted below another post on 10ga. The gentlemen above speaking to a 20ga. goose hunting is right on if you are a very good shot and pick your shots carefully. That is not always possible in the real world of goose hunting. This battle between 10 vs. 12 or 20 has gone on forever and it will never stop. The 20 will never be a 10ga.

I can only speak to this issue from 32 years of service shooting a 10 ga. And I am sure that some of you may agree with what I am about to say and others will certainly dis-agree and that is OK. When the 10 ga. first hit the market with an autoloader in the early 70s, only winchester was making a 2 oz. load. It was a paper hull, patterned poorly at 40 yards. An outdoor writer named Tom, I can't remember his name developed the one piece plastic wad. Later Federal started producing this wad. During those years the development of 10 ga. & 12 ga. shells got good. After Federal perfected their magnum loads with the one piece wad, NO 12 ga. gun could compete with the 10 ga. magnum. I have stood beside numerous men in goose blinds in TX. and held off on shooting while watching 12 ga. magnums (3") hit birds with shot and could here the shot hit the bird and I would stand up and shoot and kill the bird. This was not a one time deal. Now comes along the 3.5" 12 ga. I have a Remington 870 3.5" and did have a Benelli 3.5". I have made some outstanding long shots with both guns and I have absolutely no regrets ever shooting either gun. The 12 ga. 3.5" is probably the greatest gun built for all purpose you can get. If your stature can handle the weight and size of the 10 ga. and you want the best in long distance guns you can not beat the 10 ga.s built today. On paper the story is not always told. The size of bore of the 10 ga. is one of the advantages. You can push heavy shot loads from the larger bore with a faster burning powder and with a shorter shot string. More shot hits the bird at the same time with a 10 ga. You can use a more open choke to get tighter patterns. All of the loads today- 10 & 12 shoot tighter than they did 20 years ago. Most hunters use a choke that is to tight. The modern loads today shoot like a rifle. One final thing, if you consistantly shoot at birds and hear the shot hit the bird and he flys off or comes down wounded with a 12 ga. you can stomp the bird with a 10 ga. One of the situations that the 10 ga. shines is in truely high wind which you often get at the coast. If I was going to have to buy a truck load of shells that would have to last me my entire life and use them for ducks/geese I would purchase #1 shot. I have killed stone dead more geese with #1s. I wound many more with BB or T shot.

Ithaca MagTen
North Carolina

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please notice the above pictures. The two lower pics only have one spot of blood. This bird was shot at about 50 yards straight overhead with a 10ga. Ithaca magten with lead BBs about 1985. North Carolina required a swan permit. This man had a permit and had a good shot at this bird. Heavy wind and weather. I know he is a good shot but only hit this bird with 2 pellets. A wing shot. The bird sailed for almost 4 hundred yards before landing in front of two other hunters that had NO permit. My lab could see this bird swimming in the brush and made the retrieve. Most likely if this man would have had a tight shooting 20 ga. he would have missed the bird all together. He was lucky. I again agree with the men above, get them in close and smaller shot is best. If there is a slight chance of distance shots carry all you can muster.

Ithaca MagTen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts