Goose Hunting Forum banner

My 16 year old's 1st solo waterfowl season

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  toothpick 
#1 ·
New member here but I wanted to share my oldest son's first waterfowl season on his own.

We live in Central Oklahom and My 16 year old had a pretty good waterfowl season as he and some High School buddies really got into waterfowling.
They got permission to hunt several nearby ponds and had pretty good success.
Once duck season ended, they got permission to hunt a few fields in the OKC metro area and they managed to shoot over 100 geese.
Last weekend (6th -8th) they shot 23 one day and followed up with 31 the next day. They shot their first Specks, Snows and they managed to get 3 banded geese.
First was on Superbowl Sunday, he called me and he I could not understand him because he was talking so fast. He shot a bird that had been banded in North Dakota in 2011.
They shot a local that was banded in OKC in 2012 on the 6th and on the 8th one of the boys shot a speck that was banded way up in Northern Canada in 2012.
The cool thing about it is that the landowner didn't want adults to hunt the fields, just younger folks, and they managed to do this with ~ 2 dozen decoys at times.

Canada season ended last Sunday and he took his 11 year old brother and his buddy down to a pond where they each shot a 10- 12 lb resident canada. You should have seen the smile on the 11 year old's faces.

Dad had to spend $ on shells and gas, but I love the fact that he is spending his free time hunting rather than hanging with the wrong crowd.

You can bet your tail that he will be in the market for some decoys this summer to increase his odds even more next year.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.