Goose Hunting Forum banner

Attn: NR Waterfowler of Iowa

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  feathhd 
#1 ·
Hello my fellow Non-Resident Waterfowlers hope all is going well for you and your family this new year.

I wish to write to you all today to inform you that I have presented 2 draft proposal to some key Iowa legislature that requests that we as a state adopt added NR waterfowl hunting License choices.

Presently any waterfowler from any state who hunts the state of Iowa has to Buy an annual hunting lic at the tune of $145 sum dollars. Most NR waterfowlers do not live on the borders of the state and so if they do choose to Waterfowl Hunt Iowa they may only hunt 2 to 5 days out of the entire season. It is very hard for a NR waterfowler to justify spending $145.00 to maybe only waterfowl hunt 1 or 2 days in the state. I think that having only 1 option as a choice also discourages NR waterfowlers from taking advantage of some of Iowa's best waterfowl hunting opportunities and it also hinders our abilities as a waterfowling community to raise the necessary resources needed to restore, enhance and protect vital migratory habitat.
Draft Proposal #1
5-Day NR Waterfowl Hunting License $48.50
The proposal I wrote would create a 5 day Non Resident Waterfowl Hunting License at a cost of $48.50
All resources generated by the sale of said Lic would go directly into the states IDNR Fish & Wildlife Migratory Waterfowl Stamp Fund to help restore, enhance and protect Iowa's Prairie Pot Hole Region and as a vital matching resources in North American Wetlands Conservation Act grants to restore,enhance,protect critical waterfowl habitat along our states major Migratory corridors, like the Mississippi, Missouri, Wapsi, Cedar, Des Moines and Iowa River- Bottoms etcetera .

Draft Proposal #2
Spring Season Snow Goose Hunting License $43.50
The second License Proposal I wrote calls for the creation of a Iowa Spring Snow Goose Hunting license. Again hunting spring snow geese where many waterfowlers only spend a few days hunting is again very hard to justify spending $145.00 dollars to potentially hunt 2 or 3 days and in many cases the spring migration is through a very narrow window of opportunity. Again the 1 option Iowa has for Non-Resident Spring Snow Goose Hunters discourages Non Resident spring snow goose hunters from hunting some of Iowa's best snow goose hunting areas. This draft proposal is meant to specifically give Non Resident Spring Snow Goose hunters added choices that are with in reason of anyone's budget.

All resources generated by the sale of said Lic would go directly into the states IDNR Fish & Wildlife Migratory Waterfowl Stamp Fund to help restore, enhance and protect Iowa's Prairie Pot Hole Region and as a vital matching resources in North American Wetlands Conservation Act grants to restore,enhance,protect critical waterfowl habitat along our states major Migratory corridors, like the Mississippi, Missouri, Wapsi, Cedar, Des Moines and Iowa River- Bottoms etcetera.

The above proposals I send to you today NEEDS YOUR Support as Non-Resident Waterfowl Hunters.
I ask that you send these key legislators / IDNR an e mail asking them to Support both of the proposals. Please tell them why you support these options as added choices and please feel free to circulate this to others and friends you waterfowl hunt with.

Senator Dick Dearden
dick.dearden@legis.state.ia.us

Senator Mike Gronstal
michael.gronstal@legis.state.ia.us

Senator Dennis Black
dennis.black@legis.state.ia.us

Representative Chris Hall
chris.hall@legis.state.ia.us

Director of IDNR Roger Lande
roger.lande@dnr.iowa.gov

Director of IDNR Fish & Wildlife Dale Garner
Dale.Garner@dnr.iowa.gov

Sincerely,

William J. Smith
President
Mo. Valley Waterfowlers Association IA & NE
Sioux City Iowa
712-274-3343 h
712-253-0362 c
FHD101@AOL.COM

See less See more
#2 ·
I strongly support your proposal. Personally, I do not currently hunt Iowa but I am sure there are many that are discouraged from hunting Iowa due to the single option of license (especially in today's economy). If I lived further north in Missouri I wouldn't hesitate in buying a 2 or 5-day license for a couple days of hunting in Iowa, but I would not purchase an annual hunting license for a couple days of hunting. So I can see exactly where your proposals would benefit people. I would suggest trying to get a petition with as many signatures as possible or something of similar nature. DU or Delta Waterfowl may be a big supporter of your proposal due to the fact that revenue from the sales would help support the Iowa Prarie Pot Hole regions and other very important waterfowl habitat areas.

Good luck in trying to get your proposals pushed thru and as an avid waterfowler anything that would help promote, create, or protect any waterfowl habitat grounds (most importantly the Prarie Pothole Regions) I would support 100%!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.