the ticket

Discuss Minnesota goose hunting in the land of 10,000 lakes - where they harvest more Canada geese than any other state most years.

Moderators: PJ Maguire, 7outof10, JP_hntnfsh

the ticket

Postby MNhunter3781 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

So what's everyone's plans for the hot august hunt? I'm contemplating hunting water. I think with this heat water might be my best bet?
MNhunter3781

Re: the ticket

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:03 pm

MNhunter3781 wrote:So what's everyone's plans for the hot august hunt? I'm contemplating hunting water. I think with this heat water might be my best bet?

I think I will spend the first weekend watching the geese and see what they are doing. Between it being so early in the year and the number of hunters that will possibly pressure/confuse them, I will see what I can do for a pattern and go from there. Besides, I have Game Fair to make it to the opening weekend and a family vacations that needs to get squeezed in there somewhere. For me I think I will be better off scouting a lot and choosing my hunts wisely.

JP
JP_hntnfsh
Site Moderator

Postby MNhunter3781 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Yea we are only gonna hunt until like 9am then head to the game fair. I haven't seen crap for birds around so i don't know what's gonna happen.
MNhunter3781

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 pm

I hear yeah...seen some good pockets but in this heat it has been few and far between that I have seen flying. I have some feelers out for some western birds and we have a guy keeping an eye on things in the Alex area. Still early yet in my book :thumbsup:

JP
JP_hntnfsh
Site Moderator

Postby goldfish » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 am

Duck scouting with a gun in tow.

sent from a phancy fone
goldfish

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 am

That's another way to look at it...

JP
JP_hntnfsh
Site Moderator

Postby Branta_canadensis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 am

goldfish wrote:Duck scouting with a gun in tow.

sent from a phancy fone

Our early season starts in 19 days. All of our crops are still green. I suspect I will be doing the same thing, scouting for duck sloughs.
Check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

N.O Guide Service: head guide. Gary is the name, killing geese is the game
Branta_canadensis
Site Admin

Postby 7outof10 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I don't think I'll be making it out for the early early season this year most the geese around here can't even fly yet and it opens in. 11 Days lol I don't start hunting a lot tell late oct
goose the other kind of red meat
7outof10

Postby 4Cody4 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I think I'm going to start coyote hunting early. I'll maybe give the geese a whirl one night after work if its cool out.
4Cody4

Postby Novice123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:23 pm

I live in Moorhead (Fargo) and hunt in both ND and MN. I have been scouting evenings off and on for the last week. I haven't seen any geese in the duck sloughs or flying. So far almost no wheat fields have been harvested or swathed. Right now I have no plans to hunt Aug. 10 (Sat.) as I like to see geese when I hunt. I have farmers in a wide area that will let me know if they see any geese. Last year geese were flying Aug. 15 and I shot a goose opening day in ND and should have shot a lot more than one. This year with the late planting, due to a cold and wet spring and the cool summer, the crops are way behind last year in their development. Last year corn was being cut for silage in late August. The one good thing about the Aug. 10-25 MN early Canada goose season is that it will overlap some of the wheat harvest and give us a chance to hunt some wheat fields before they are worked up. The only geese I have seen are in the Fargo-Moorhead city limits in the waste treatment ponds.
Novice123

Return to Minnesota Goose Hunting