hot hunt

Discuss Minnesota goose hunting in the land of 10,000 lakes - where they harvest more Canada geese than any other state most years.

Moderators: PJ Maguire, 7outof10, JP_hntnfsh

Re: hot hunt

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 pm

So what's the story from the weekend? Anyone shoot birds? I drove around looking for something promising but found that there were indeed no birds flying. Only birds that I have been seeing are getting up from the river at 9pm and flying to the local fields to feed and then flying back over just after dark. I opted to stay away from my water holes in hopes that I might have a couple good hunts during the early September season. BTW...did anyone see that the September season opens on a Sunday this year unlike the last years when it is a Saturday Sunday labor day hunt...guess they wanted one extra day to grow some flight feathers. Last Friday I saw a brand new hatch of mallards in the back yard...funny to think of those birds being anyways near where they need to be come October...

JP
JP_hntnfsh
Site Moderator

Postby MNhunter3781 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm

We shot 8 this weekend. Had a farmer call me and say there was a ton of birds in the field so a friend went out today and talked to another guy who does the combining for my field and said there was over 100 geese in the field this morning. So we will hopefully have a great hunt tomorrow. :beer:
MNhunter3781

Postby goldfish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 am

I picked up my new camo for the August hunt
uploadfromtaptalk1376373134957.jpg

sent from a phancy fone
goldfish

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:47 am

The bird behind my cabin are still punishing the farmer for converting 40 acres of CRP to soybeans. Waddle waddle waddle, munch on lunch. About 30 of the 45 birds on the roost did fly over and set down on the lake on sunday, so at least they are starting to fly.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
Fowl University
tornadochaser

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 am

Have birds working a few of my fields but not in the intensive harvest zone. And the reason the early september season starts on Sunday is because there is a federal law stating that the early season can't start before September 1st without the exception of approval to have the august intensive harvest season.

I also saw that the limit in september is 10 geese for the areas that had the august season.
Beaver

Previous

Return to Minnesota Goose Hunting