Goose Hunting Forum banner

Do you have similar issues where you are?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • 3. Comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

Eastern Kansas Cornfield Goose Hunting

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tornadochaser 
#1 ·
The honkers and green heads have arrived! Having moved to Kansas in 2001, I soon discovered they have a weird law that all but 3 rivers are "owned" by the adjacent landowners. You can't even canoe down most waterways without permission of owners on both sides! In winter, the Kansas River holds thousands of geese and ducks who fly out to grain fields to feed. 99% of public access lands are woods, high grass, or other terrain not suitable for goose hunting. There are hundreds of harvested cornfields in adjacent counties. However, I have been unable to find a corn stubble field where I can hunt geese. Many are disced under after harvest. I have talked to landowners (usually absent, fields already leased, or they just don't allow hunting). Poetic justice would be a tornado of snow geese eating all their winter wheat. I have written to the KDWPT commissioners, my state senator and representative, and DU reps about getting some grain fields open to the public. No help! No luck! I have dozens of goose decoys of all types, layout blinds, can call fairly well, and don't mind the worst weather. I just have been unable to find a corn stubble field near the river to goose hunt, so I end up driving 120 miles each direction to hunt. Any ideas? Any help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.