Goose Hunting Forum banner

best design for a large pit?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  redgolds 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm wondering about the best designs for large pits in the field. Right now we are just using a standard box blind, and it sticks out way to much. We have literally killed 1 goose in about 3 months, and there's about 2 weeks left in the hunting season from when I posted this. We realize that if we want to be successful then we have to use layouts or dig a pit. We decided we r going to try a pit. My question is, what do you guys use for your pits? What's the design, size, materials, etc? Ours will have to be pretty big, as we have 6 guys at times hunting at once. I probably sound like a noob, I'm only 15 and this is my first year I've gotten into waterfowl hunting and the adults in our group are either too lazy or think they know everything, so me and the other boys in the group have to do the research and what not to figure out how we can be successful. Anyway, any help is well appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
About 4 feet per man in length. 6x4=24 foot pit
About 4 1/2 feet deep. If your going to dig down around the edges to make the top flat one installed, add 4 inches, if you plan on adding pallets etc to the inside, another 4 inches.

I like 5 feet wide but most are around 4 feet wide.
We make our tops out of a 4x8 3/4" sheet of plywood, framed out , braced and framed for the lids. Lids should sit flush when closed.
each hole is 30 inches by 30 inches.
each 4x8 framed section can then be removed and stacked on top of each other for storage after the season.

Interior- I line the pit walls with black plastic. that size pit will take two rolls.
The front wall I line with plywood as well. Making shelves and bracing. 2 4x8 sections and then a middle section which can be cut to the exact need. that way each year, you can reuse it and may only need to buy one sheet of plywood.

Screw everything together, this will allow it to be disassembled and stored every year.

Here are some pics. Hope they help
lids and hole during install- Notice the dirt pulled away from the edges to let the tops sit flat with the earth, This dirt will settle a bit also so pile it a bit higher than the tops

A closer pic

Plastic lining

Fine tuning the height on one of the front walls

getting closer.

Interior work, Wind was blowing about 30mph so the plastic was billowing

finished

Placed straw on the bottom

Brett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.